The Sewing Place

What's the biggest thing you've undone?

wrenkins

What's the biggest thing you've undone?
« on: July 09, 2017, 10:45:02 AM »
Whilst listening to the tennis yesterday I unpicked 48 blocks that I had done for a quilt top and hated. I now have a hump and a very tense shoulder and a big heap of wee bits of fabric awaiting a brainwave. It was a simple block and the bits are screaming log cabin at me. We'll see.  :S
What's the biggest thing you've undone...sewing or otherwise?
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Efemera

Re: What's the biggest thing you've undone?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 11:50:55 AM »
The biggest was the latest... wallpapered the hall stairs and landing... hated it, took it all off and did it again... that took some doing!

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 15:13:50 PM »
 :o :o :o :o
I would have moved house I think. Did you do it yourself???  :S
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 16:57:48 PM »
I have undone several houses before doing them back up - but I didn't do them before the undoing, so I don't know whether that counts (or, for that matter, makes any sense...)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 18:02:43 PM »
:o :o :o :o
I would have moved house I think. Did you do it yourself???  :S

Yes..DH cleaned up after me

datcat23

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 22:57:32 PM »
A complete dress.  I made myself a shirt waister dress, following a Gertie pattern.  Biggest disaster in my sewing life ...... so I unpicked almost the entire thing, replaced the yoke, the fronts, the facings and inserted a waistband.  Resulting in a very wearable dress.  Most people admire my persistence, but in reality I am just stubbornly bloody minded, and refused to let the damn pattern win. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 09:09:30 AM »
A complete dress.  I made myself a shirt waister dress, following a Gertie pattern.  Biggest disaster in my sewing life ...... so I unpicked almost the entire thing, replaced the yoke, the fronts, the facings and inserted a waistband.  Resulting in a very wearable dress.  Most people admire my persistence, but in reality I am just stubbornly bloody minded, and refused to let the damn pattern win.
Respeck datcat!
I'd have been absolutely gutted and it would have ended up on the UFO pile. Kudos for your perseverance/bloody mindedness!
Ef I papered my hall/stairs/landing years ago in paintable paper. Best thing I ever did. It goes up like a chimney and there's all this make-shift scaffoldery that goes on with ladders and boxes! Nightmare! On the up side I'm now a qualified Trapeze artist!

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 12:21:18 PM »
Wouldn't unpick a large project... I'd live with it  :ninja:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

maliw

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 12:33:10 PM »
Probably a Cathedral Window double size quilt. There was an awful lot of hand sewing that took me about two years to complete. I did it as a sort of tribute to mum who taught me to sew and she had done some CW cushions that I always liked so decided to have a go.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

rubywishes

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 09:50:39 AM »
I've started quilting my "Roses for Maxine" quilt.

.....and 2 days later I've undone and re-sewn 3 x 60" lines of SITD (well, "next to' ITD).......3 times (I kid you not...I'm a slow learner!), approximately 200 basting pins TWICE, AND replaced and lastly....my sanity which is definately undone  :angry: Pass the scotch dear.....
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 12:08:16 PM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 09:56:30 AM »
Oh Ruby!! I bet it would have looked fine to anyone but yourself........... don't be hyper-critical {{{ hug }}} I fear for next door's cat  :D

rubywishes

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 11:55:06 AM »
Oh Ruby!! I bet it would have looked fine to anyone but yourself........... don't be hyper-critical {{{ hug }}} I fear for next door's cat  :D

Oh no it didn't.....look fine I mean! And as for the neighbours' cat...he's done a runner after my last post in your thread!!!!
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Lowena

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2017, 12:00:31 PM »
 :D :D It'll look lovely when it's finished and she'll love it  <3 don't stress......drink  :ninja: