The Sewing Place

How to complicate a simple top

Bodgeitandscarper

How to complicate a simple top
« on: July 09, 2017, 11:59:09 AM »
Yesterday I sat down to sew a vest top - 15 minutes I reckoned, shoulder and side seams on the overlocker, neck and armholes done with a sort of shell stitch type thing with very narrow turn under.
Today I have just finished it...

I decided it was to short, so added another 3" band of material around the bottom - to make a feature of it, I overlapped the top edge and sewed a curvy stitch, so it became a raw edge grungy look.  I then decided the neck and arm holes need similar treatment, so narrow strips were sewn inside, just peeping out from the edge of the main fabric - more raw edged grunginess.  I almost forgot the hem, but decided to treat that the same.  It is now a top I may only wear at home, as it's not my preferred really loose fit at the hips, but an interesting experiment.

Edit:  I should also add it's a crinkle jersey, it's meant to look crumpled, so suits the raw edges I think.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 12:00:42 PM by Bodgeitandscarper »

Catllar

Re: How to complicate a simple top
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 21:01:20 PM »
Girl after my own heart - never do simple when there is a complicated option!  Yesterday I chose an outfit for a show today - white skirt and  shawl the colour of marrons glace. Discarded all my dance tops as not quite right and then did a bit of stash diving and found a small piece of one way stretch lace in exactly the right colour and a remnant of white lycra. Perfect - will make simple boat necked top with  lace yoke and the body in white.  Simple.

Start drawing it out - will make all top white and will applique the lace over. Made and tried on - not flamenco enough  - needs the colour panel to be asymmetric  - recut lace. don't like applique look so removed the  white from underneath - needs lace sleeves - one. Added. looks too weird, and pulls to one side so make another. Tick. Still not really flamenco - enough lace to make frills for sleeves? Yes. mmm looking better and so simple. Tick. Need to bind neck -  lace not got a lot of recovery and I felt it bagged a bit. White? Yes. Tick. Looks like a gym shirt - will be impossible to get head through hole once wearing bun. Sigh. Remove binding and snip hole in body  - grrrrrrr. Found more lace and appliquéd  a piece across front to mimic asymmetric yoke shape and hide hole. Realise the neckline hole is not even - 6cms one shoulder 5 on the other. Recut neck. Again. What to do to stop stretching out at neck? Over -lock it. Job done. Simple!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 21:21:27 PM by Catllar »
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !