The Sewing Place

FPP - any interest in a follow thread?

Syrinx

FPP - any interest in a follow thread?
« on: July 09, 2017, 22:31:14 PM »
As Imi has been a super trooper and is not only doing the mystery quilt a thon, the BOM, and a follow along cot quilt thread, and seeing how well they have gone down I wondered if there would be much interest in me doing an FPP (foundation paper piecing) and FMQ (free motion quilting) follow along thread, with ask as many questions as you like and delve into the thoughts and processes that go into FPP and FMQ?

I've got my twisted log cabin/nested spirals quilt and cushions that is almost in the get the fabric stage, but I know it's all a little caught up in a different thread (decision there is some quilted cushions for my pro tailor friend - I think a full quilt should have some input from her really but cushions are easy enough to neglect with no hard feelings!). I also know not many people do FPP or realise what sort of things are done via FPP and how fun and easy it is!

Similarly FMQ. I love FMQ. I'll be FMQing the above quilt (though only exciting in the borders) and I have a wholecloth quilt in the planning. Lovely way to FMQ with center piece and then secondary and fillers.

I'm terrible at photographing as I go unless I have a reason to, but I'd be more than happy to do a follow along thread for both quilts.

I know I plan my quilts a bit more technically than Imi! And tend to do lots of research into which fabric choice before I buy as my stash is never useful and I like everything to match. I also like complicated designs that look even more complicated! I don't know if anyone followed my twisted bargello thread on the old forum, but it was more of a progress update thread rather than a follow along.

So before I bore people with a follow along thread instead of an update at exciting moments thread or a final 'look wot i made' thread I thought I'd ask!

I will definitely do an update thread on the wholecloth quilt once I've decided on my design and what colour fabric I want to use. And I'll probably update the twisted spirals, but like I said, I'm spotty with pictures and updates without a reason! The FPP design is consisting currently of 100 5" blocks for the quilt, and I'm undecided about the cushions - I may shrink the block a little or do a big cushion...

Edit: foundation paper piecing is different to English paper piecing and is often used to get sharp foints in designs, and to create designs which would be very hard to piece freehand due to their size, shape, or placement. A lots of the very beautiful quilts you see with tiny pieces, or complicated spiralling or curvy designs are done with FPP.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 08:07:46 AM by Syrinx »

Pearl

Re: FPP - any interest in a follow thread?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 22:38:32 PM »
Thanks, Syrinx.  I would definitely be interested in a FPP follow along.

FMQ?  Not so sure.   :D

fajita

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 22:42:34 PM »
I think I'd be interested. School holidays begin in two weeks for me, and as my kids are all now working, I think I'll need something to fill my time til I go back to work in September.

I think it would be a good idea to explain abbreviations like fpp(foundation paper piecing) so that people know what it means.

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 22:44:35 PM »
Count me in.  :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

amymac

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 23:28:51 PM »

I think it would be a good idea to explain abbreviations like fpp(foundation paper piecing) so that people know what it means.

Ah, so Foundation Paper Piecing is what FPP means.  When I worked in a betting shop many years ago it meant first past the post, doubted that had anything to do with quilting!

Sakar

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 06:38:27 AM »
Generally I am interested, but I am not sure.

Is FPP (thanks Fajita!!!  :flower:) the same as EPP (=English Paper Piecing)?

FMQ is not my style of sewing, sorry.

Pearl

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 06:50:22 AM »

Is FPP (thanks Fajita!!!  :flower:) the same as EPP (=English Paper Piecing)?

No,  EPP is fabric basted to card templates and then sewn together.  FPP is fabric sewn to paper which has the design printed on it by sewing along the line.  It's what I used for my avatar.

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 07:09:43 AM »
Goooood morning!

No Sakar, EPP is where you cut out lil bits of paper (usually teeny tiny hexagons or hexies) and some how hand-sew the block over this weeny bit of paper so you have a crinkly quilt and is the work of the devils bum washer!

Some time ago Brenda kindly sent me a book of the twisted log cabin, which is usually achieved by FPP, ie you stitch the fabric to a printed block on a piece of paper and can achieve super duper sharp points and angles ... remember those fabulous silk quilts we saw at FoQ last year ????

So since Brenda sent the book I have been working out how to drum up the courage to try some cause there is a lot more to it than at first seems ....so I would be very interested, Syrinx!

Take way more pics than you think you will need S as you will always be missing the pic of the part you need to make an important point about. The book has printable templates for all sorts of twisted log cabin, from three sided to eight sided and beyond, which I could email to peeps who want to print them and try them if that helps .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Simply-Amazing-Spiral-Quilts-Merrill/dp/1942853009

« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 07:47:39 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sewingsue

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 07:29:59 AM »
Iminei, I love your description of EPP.

Somewhere, at the bottom of a box probably, I have a FPP kit for a spiral wall quilt that I bought at FoQ umpty-tump years ago.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Syrinx

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 08:04:45 AM »
Thank you! I'll edit the post with what the acronyms are!

I'll get started on working on the follow thread. Lots to think about before you start but fairly easy once you get going. I have my spiral geese quiut (remember that?!) still on the go as I declared all by hand so I can get some pictures of that as it's a good way to show the breakdown of complicated designs but it's less complicated that the twisted quilt in actual pieces. So should be helpful to grasp the concept.

No one fancies FMQ then ;)  :devil: hahaha I'll convert you all one day...

twopence

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 08:16:31 AM »
I am also interested in FPP as I haven't tried that yet although years ago did a workshop with Linda Straw which was appliqué from a the reverse of a drawn template.  At the Arts Centre we made blocks and smashed them together into a wall hanging which we donated to the burns unit at Stoke Mandeville Hospital after fundraising to completely enclose it so that it was suitable for life in a burns unit.

I would also like to master free motion so need more practice there (and time for all these things).

Ploshkin

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 08:20:11 AM »
I suggested, tongue in cheek, some time ago that we could have a Sandwich of the Month for fmq practice as there were a number of people wanting to have a go or be more proficient but lacking the confidence.  That may be the way to go Syrinx.  It would certainly give me the nudge to practice regularly which is always on my list of good intentions but never  actually happens.
Life's too short for ironing.

Syrinx

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 08:35:00 AM »
A sandwich of the month! Ooh could do that... I have been meaning to make a bunch of placemats but couldn't decide on the FMQ design so a design a mat would be an excellent idea! I would just need to pick a batting that shows up well on camera...could also sneak a couple of trapunto practices in as cushion fronts - got plenty of batting offcuts if I can find the bag they live in!

Sakar

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 08:42:37 AM »
@Pearl: Thanks for the explanation!  :flower:

@Iminei: Oh yes, I remember these great quilts and the book-surprise :)

@Syrinx: Yes, now I am definitly interested :D

Quote from: Iminei
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Simply-Amazing-Spiral-Quilts-Merrill/dp/1942853009
This book goes definitly to my shopping list for FoQ ;)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 08:44:54 AM by Sakar »

Maximum

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 08:51:08 AM »
I agree with Ploshkin that FMQ sandwich of the month is a great idea. I have done a few squiggles on scraps but need the push to have another go and crack on. When something is challenging I tend to lose confidence and then freeze or find a million things I should be doing so don't have the time!
The thought of a monthly task to have a crack at might well be the kick up the a*** that I need. Please keep it simple and easy stages, at least at first  :|