The Sewing Place

FPP - any interest in a follow thread?

fajita

Re: FPP - any interest in a follow thread?
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2017, 21:14:39 PM »
Stars and houses would appeal to me.

Syrinx

« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2017, 21:24:48 PM »
How lovely SG! That's the joy of FPP, perfect points without having to worry and such a big impact too. I never got around to buying her stars book because I couldn't work out if it was worth the money as I don't really use too many stars and I thought I could always design my own, but I still haven't designed any fancy ones haha!

Hopefully you'll find a few new blocks to try once we get going and it won't be too boring for you! :)

I can definitely do stars and houses. They are both fun and houses are a really good way to learn how to design blocks as well as how to use fabric choices well. I remember seeing a nice design with a flower fabric cleverly positioned so it looked like there were flowers on a windowsill in the house!

I'll try and dig out some stars or design some. There are so many crazy things you can do with FPP and they always look super impressive!

supergran

« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2017, 22:03:38 PM »
Thank you Imi and Syrinx. They aren't really hard to do if you've got the right paper. The star one was easy as it was QAYG so was nice to do the quilting part. The NYB was easy until I got to the quilting but it was done in one piece and I shed many tears trying to get it through the machine. It made me realise that I needed a Bernina! My lovely Supergramps bought me one for Christmas after that, bless him.  <3

Also, Carol Doak tells you what size to cut the pieces which is an enormous help.

wrenkins

« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2017, 22:38:05 PM »
So you have to pitch it somewhere between SG and me Syrinx. I've seen a picture!!!  0_0  :\  :S  :[
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Pearl

« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2017, 13:10:44 PM »
Wow, Supergran.  Talk about hiding your light under a bushel!  Amazing!   <3 <3 <3

supergran

« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2017, 13:30:14 PM »
Thanks Pearl. I'm retired though so got time to faff about with things  :) I'm still rubbish at dressmaking though, I've no patience with it.  :\

Lowena

« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2017, 14:04:28 PM »
I've seen some lovely FPP work but never even fancied trying it myself....so, come on........tempt me  :devil: :D
Whoops...... just seen that you need a reliable printer and lots of paper / ink. Count me out, but I'll follow with interest what you clever folk do  <3
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 14:07:51 PM by Lowena »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Syrinx

« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2017, 14:24:24 PM »
Don't need lots of ink. And you only need to print one page, nothing stopping you ;)

Pearl

« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2017, 14:42:24 PM »
What type of paper do you recommend?  I've just used normal office paper.

Syrinx

« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2017, 14:54:58 PM »
I'll go into that in the first BOM, but you can use whatever really. FPP paper is very good, or freezer paper if you like see through, translucent vellum is also good but £££. Normal paper is also suitable (I use it for my spiral flying geese because it gets carried around a lot!). I do like the FPP paper, and it is a little easier to use than normal paper, but not enough that you can't do a good job without it.

Lowena

« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2017, 15:50:04 PM »
On the page I looked at Syrinx it said you needed to print off a page for every block
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Syrinx

« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2017, 16:18:11 PM »
It depends how big your block is. Some you can fit two or three on one page. And some you can only fit one on. I'm going to be doing smaller blocks so 2 to a page :) saves paper!

Snowgoose

« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2017, 08:16:12 AM »
Super Gran, your New York Beauty quilt is absolutely stunning, beautiful  :)

Iminei

« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2017, 08:18:03 AM »
And you can always print off one page and then settle down to a lightbox (or Ipad/tablet ... anything emitting light, hell even a windowpane) and trace the printed image onto your next sheet.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

supergran

« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2017, 13:38:31 PM »
Thank you Snowgoose. I was pleased with it and my daughter, who's christmas present it was, was delighted with it, thank god!  :)