The Sewing Place

Which way first?

maliw

Which way first?
« on: July 11, 2017, 19:52:54 PM »
When making a quilt from squares or small blocks do you -
a) join squares/blocks to make lines and then join lines or
b) join blocks/squares to make larger blocks and then join larger blocks to make the quilt?
I've seen instructions to do both ways so any thoughts etc about which way might be the best or is there no difference?
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

twopence

Re: Which way first?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 19:58:24 PM »
I've just made the twist and twirl block from May this afternoon and I joined the blocks into strips and then joined the strips to make a square.  I think that I'd probably choose the way according to the blocks and which way suited what I was doing.

rubywishes

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 21:11:38 PM »
Yep, like twopence, I decide depending on the blocks, the pattern and the size of the project.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 22:30:13 PM »
Yep, it depends on the design
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 06:19:47 AM »
Whichever suits you ......

though it is worth mentioning if you are joining strips of any kind,
the sew down, sew up rule is well worth adhering to to avoid a bad case of the bends!

The cot quilt I have just finished I sewed in rows (across) before joining then all together.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Syrinx

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 07:07:17 AM »
It depends on the design of the quilt. 9 patches for eg are generally done in rows which then get sewn together.
But a design which is created over say 4 blocks making a big square 4 times wouud be sewn together into the big squaris and then the four big squares (each made up of four square blocks, which are in turn pieced) sewn together. Think along the lines of a compass/exploding star quilt design.

Any quilt which can be chopped into quarters in order to get tight points and maximum lining up should be sewn into the quarters and then quarters together (obviously some have another row of same sized blocks so you have 6 big blocks instead of 4 etc).

Bargello quilts are always done in strips and they are then sewn together from the middle out, using sew up, sew down technique to avoid a bend.

Inconsistent blocks are always sewn into larger consistent block shapes which are then sewn together. Inconsistent blocks are when you have a few blocks of different sizes (like in Imi's BOM) and are frequently found in sampler quilts. You sew them into bigger squares or rectangles so that you can sew the big blocks together more easily.

And personally, if I am making square blocks with a lot of pieces on the bias I tend to sew them together into bigger squares/rectangles to stabilise them a bit, otherwise you can get stretched fabric or bendy seams if you do long rows of them.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 09:17:37 AM »
I agree with all the comments.  It depends on the design of the quilt and sometimes on your personal preferences.  Go with whatever makes most sense for the design you are making.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

maliw

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 15:30:13 PM »
Thank's everyone for your replies, you've confirmed my thinking but I just wondered if there was a right/wrong way.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 18:17:25 PM »
Just go with the flow  :D :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D