The Sewing Place

Price?

Surest1tch

Re: Price?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 13:53:15 PM »
The most I paid and will ever pay again was £100 a mt for cashmere, 3 mt for a wrap around coat which ruined by trying to rush it. A very expensive mistake

Vegegrow

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 13:53:24 PM »
The most expensive fabric I have ever cut was about £150 per metre in the mid 1990's... looked rather like this https://www.joelandsonfabrics.com/uk/fabric/lace/4145a it was a short strapless princess dress and a little jacket as Sewsuzie said its nerve racking.. not even a case of measure twice cut once I think I measured three times
Now days the expensive fabrics tend to be curtain ones 
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

SkoutSews

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 14:06:02 PM »
Sewsuzie, that jacket is beautiful, so delicate!

I bought pricey fabric for an outfit for my son's wedding a couple of years ago.  I think it was about £60 a metre.  It was beautiful fabric, great quality, and I justified it by looking at prices in a local bridal shop and telling myself I had a bargain! Cutting it out was a nightmare because I was so anxious, but it went okay.

Since then I've gone for the cheaper end of the market.  I recently wore a dress to a wedding that I had made from cotton dobby at £3.50 a metre from an ebay seller and got compliments (always nice when it's a home make!).  I'll stick to cheaper fabrics unless it's a very special occasion.  Easier on the nerves as well as the pocket.

Tamnymore

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 14:26:00 PM »
Lowena, if you are ever in NW England or N Wales you should go along to an Abakhan where you would get p&q fabrics aplenty in the remnant bins working out at about £4-£5 pm. Maybe you need a holiday up here in the cold and rain! Is Liberty lawn too lightweight for you? Katsfabrics on ebay (ebay shop for Standfast and Barrack) has a load of 3m specials of selected Liberty lawn at £18 inc p&p.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde