The Sewing Place

Flimsy tissue patterns?

ScarlettPoppy

Flimsy tissue patterns?
« on: July 14, 2017, 10:51:09 AM »
Sorry, one of my new pet hates since coming back into sewing is the state of the patterns nowadays. :\
I absolutely hate the flimsy tissue patterns, surely in this day and age there must be a better way to print patterns off onto better quality paper that you can reuse again and again?
Why do we put up with them, when we pay so much for these almost unusable patterns?
We should all complain and ask for them to be printed on more stable paper?
I am sure patterns were much less flimsy when I was last sewing in the 80's?

Anyone else feel like this?

Surest1tch

Re: Flimsy tissue patterns?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 11:02:40 AM »
I do agree with you, I copy them onto strong brown parcel paper.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 11:05:49 AM »
Hi there SP, there are some better quality patterns out there, off hand I'm thinking Stylearc.  Lots of us also download and print patterns, which can work out cheaper, and obviously more robust.

I would say though, that I rarely use a pattern from the envelope, I trace it.  That means I can go back and use the other sizes too. 

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Holly Berry

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 20:48:44 PM »
I recently bought an original pattern off eBay to replace one I'd bought in the late 80's Sadly I no longer can fit in the original and I'd cut it anyway. You're right the paper was more durable.

I trace all my patterns now, especially as I have to alter them and would like to use more than once.

Procrastination get behind me

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 20:56:59 PM »
I doubt that I will ever touch a tissue pattern again - I hate them.

I am completely converted to pdf patterns (print out and tape together, as many times as you want), and as Jessie said, Style Arc produce their patterns on proper paper as well as as pdfs (patterns are mostly available on Amazon, pdfs via their website or Etsy).
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 21:42:21 PM »
Sorry, one of my new pet hates since coming back into sewing is the state of the patterns nowadays. :\
I absolutely hate the flimsy tissue patterns, ... I am sure patterns were much less flimsy when I was last sewing in the 80's?

Nope.  I recently found a dress pattern that I sewed in the 80's and it paper was filmsy tissue back then too.

Tamnymore

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 21:54:09 PM »
I've been sewing for years and I don't remember patterns being printed on better paper but I could be wrong. I believe Kwiksew patterns used to be on thicker paper but that must have been before I used them. Having said that Kwiksew seem to be printed on slightly nicer, white paper with the markings printed more clearly, which might be marginally better quailty.

I have printed out pfs but it takes a bit of time to stick them together and I'm usually in a hurry. The thing I would like is bigger pattern envelopes so I wouldn't have to iron the patterns flat once I'd used them to get them back in the envelope. We also pay more for our patterns in the UK than our friends in N America if you consider that the American websites often have sales. If we paid less for our patterns we might not mind the paper quality so much!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 08:21:37 AM »
I agree, patterns have been printed onto flimsy tissue at least as far back as the 1960s.

Maybe it's because I am used to them, but I much prefer the soft-ish tissue (not to be confused with soft tissue toilet rolls!) to printer paper and sellotape.   KwikSew patterns are, or is it were? printed on niceer tissue, but still soft enough to have a bit of flexibility if held against the body.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lyn-J

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 08:25:11 AM »
Same tissue as ever!

I prefer to pin tissue, paper is not as flexible. I trace my pdfs onto tissue.

elephun

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 09:23:21 AM »
I think the tissue patterns I have from the 60s to the 80s are a teensy bit thicker than today's. At any rate, since there are only one to three sizes in each envelope, and each individual tissue sheet tends to be smaller on the older patterns, they are much easier for me to deal with.
Tracing or transferring to heavy paper  for  actually use is what I prefer. 

DaisyChain

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 12:57:07 PM »
Yes, I agree tissue pattern paper can be really off putting. Having said that, Liesl & CO print their patterns on a lovely milky white paper with clear blue printing that I like. I also like the 'waxy' paper that Style arc used to use. It's a shame they changed.

Acorn, I'm not sure about PDFs. Yes I buy quite a few but I always find them a mare to store after I've pasted them together. What do you find is the best way to store them?

Marniesews

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 16:41:42 PM »
For knits and activewear, I just love Jalie patterns which are printed in 22 sizes on the best paper I've come across but I think there has to be room for both and, although it's not my favoured option, I think there's a lot in favour of tissue too.

Where would Palmer Pletsch tissue-fitting people be with only crisp white stuff? I have a book on tissue fitting and will try it once I'm back to making clothes for me (with help of OH - he doesn't know that yet  :o ).  There's no shortage of white paper types to trace tissue patterns onto if you don't like it and the original will at least fold up very compactly.

I know I'm going against the general flow here and not because I like tissue myself - just contrary then.  ;)
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2017, 16:46:33 PM »
Acorn, I'm not sure about PDFs. Yes I buy quite a few but I always find them a mare to store after I've pasted them together. What do you find is the best way to store them?

I have a stack of clear plastic wallets - these, from Amazon - and fold the pieces enough to go in, with the picture of the garment showing through the back of the window.

I also draw round the pieces with a water soluble pen or chalk pencil rather than pinning them to the fabric, which I also find makes things much easier.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

DaisyChain

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2017, 16:57:29 PM »
Acorn that's a good idea.  8)

Francesca

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2017, 18:29:29 PM »
I much prefer patterns printed on thin tissue to anything else. The thicker pattern paper takes up more space, is harder to fold up, and the creases don't press out of it nearly as well as tissue. I transfer all prints over to new paper and much prefer them to be nice and lightweight for this purpose.