The Sewing Place

She wants this:

Catllar

She wants this:
« on: July 15, 2017, 14:15:05 PM »
Strapless - flamenco - what could go wrong??

The voile tunic is separate and that's what she wants so she can use it over other stuff.

I was thinking of making the dress in 2 pieces to reduce the drag on the bodice  ( there's about 8 metres of fabric in the skirt alone)   I suggested a nude mesh yoke but that got shot down. However, perhaps she'd accept clear lingerie straps just as  a  safety stop! If I can persuade her to go this way I can make the dress as a one piece. Could do a built-in bra.

I think stretch cotton sateen would work with a stretch lining. Was considering boning but then she won't be able to breathe and dance!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Marniesews

Re: She wants this:
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 15:12:08 PM »
My word she wants to live dangerously.   ><

If it were made with a simple sleeveless top section in flesh mesh it would resolve your problems so nicely and make the performance so much more secure but they don't always see it that way do they? Perhaps she just doesn't realise it's the stretching of the torso, not just boob support that needs to be considered.

Good luck and fingers crossed for you!
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Jo

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 15:16:27 PM »
Without boning that dress will pull down like there's no tomorrow. Also, boning does not mean she will not be able to breathe or dance. A strapless with a heavy skirt means a boned, tight bodice is mandatory. I'm afraid not even clear lingerie straps will be able to support it. A yoke will do.
I had a strapless princess wedding gown. Was able to move and dance, but man did I feel that weight all night.

Catllar

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 18:24:56 PM »
I think there are several options :

1) I throw a designer hissy fit and insist on the yoke. If she plans to wear the tunic then where is the problem?

2) If she insists on strapless then it's got to be separate skirt, bustier and tunic. = i.e. 3 pieces and lots more work.

3) If she insists on strapless dress then the petticoats will have to be separate = i.e 3 pieces and lots more work.

I'm seeing her in a couple of weeks. Will do a designer hissy fit. ;)

Twan

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 21:58:22 PM »
A bit of boning should be fine, as long as it's spiral I guess.
And what about a waist tape? Or some other inner construction that ties the weight to her waist?

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 22:26:42 PM »
Yes Twan, waist stay is going to be essential if the dress is constructed as one piece, you are right.  I am getting concerned that this is moving away from a flamenco dress and is just turning into a frilly frock! Mind you, if that what she wants....

sewing in oz

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 06:38:22 AM »
Does she want to actually dance in it, or just stand around and look glamorous?  If she wants to actually dance, then I agree with you that Designer Hissy Fit is the way to go - as in "flesh mesh yoke or I'm not doing it".  And the yoke should probably be made of one-way stretch with the stretch going across not up and down.  Even then I'd be considering a waist stay to help hold the weight of the skirt frills.

Don't let her talk you round, or you know as well as we all do that it will likely end in tantrums and tears.

Catllar

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 13:31:07 PM »
She's going to want to knock out a few Sevillanas in it - and that means arms above the head! Watch this space!

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 09:15:35 AM »
OMG!!  She's asking for wardrobe malfunction! 

Has she any idea how embarrassed she could be?  :o

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Catllar

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 14:58:23 PM »
She is on the lookout for a new man in her life!

sewing in oz

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 06:11:05 AM »
Not sure that sevillanas in that dress will do the job...?

Catllar

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 14:22:51 PM »
Depends whether she wants to show her footwork or her assets!

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 14:28:19 PM »
I think any prospective beau would run a mile with her assets on show!  :o

Still, I'm probably jealous!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

sewing in oz

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 23:38:23 PM »
I think any prospective beau would run a mile with her assets on show!  :o
Yup!

Catllar

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2017, 22:48:30 PM »
OK so I saw her today and we had a little chat. We re going for a dress with a strappy top and the voile tunic thing will be separate! Problem of construction solved. AND I dissuaded her from the revolting orange  :x she wanted and we are now more to the lavender blue.