The Sewing Place

The Opus is under The Splurges Harp again.....

Iminei

The Opus is under The Splurges Harp again.....
« on: July 16, 2017, 19:42:52 PM »
Since the depressing discovery of The Opus' hanging problem, I have been trying to fathom what the problem is and more importantly how I can resolve it.

Today whilst talking to another Quiltress on the phone, I was asked (I think) if I had quilted it and how, machine, hand etc, and suddenly I realised that I had indeed quilted The Opus but quite sparingly as it is such a humungous quilt and realised that that could indeed be the problem ...The edges aren't wavy but the middle sort of pooches out in places....along with, perhaps the weight of the buttons.....

So today I have been slowly and surely adding rows of quilting to The Opus, which I sincerely hope is going to go a looooong way to sorting the problem. I will know by the end of next weekend when I rehang it ...
Imself will be away til then.

Wish me luck, girls!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

supergran

Re: The Opus is under The Splurges Harp again.....
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 20:04:19 PM »
Good luck. I hope that resolves the problem. :vintage:

QuiltySisty

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 20:48:30 PM »
Oh no! I'm keeping my fingers really, really crossed for you!

I spent all day attaching my hanging sleeve and then realised I'd put it on the wrong edge (there's a puckery bit of quilting that I want to hide at the top, but I've ended up with it at the bottom, where people will be looking the closest!) so I'll be taking it off and reattaching!  Looking forward to getting it sent off at some point this week :-)

rubywishes

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 04:56:30 AM »
Fingers crossed and best wishes that The Opus has a successful surgery! :)
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 06:56:05 AM »
I spent all day attaching my hanging sleeve and then realised I'd put it on the wrong edge (there's a puckery bit of quilting that I want to hide at the top, but I've ended up with it at the bottom, where people will be looking the closest!) so I'll be taking it off and reattaching!

AAaaggghhh!! I hate hanging sleeves, having now attached 4 (regulation style) !!! 

And after my conversation with the Quiltress and that brief moment of elation that more quilting could indeed be the fix, my heart sank into my boots as I realised I would have to detach and then reattach the Opus's Hanging sleeve, all 78 inches of it!!!

But then a moment of pure unadulterated joy settled on my troubled soul as I realised that The Opus has a stonking great big border and the hanging sleeve is attached well and truly within those borders (which do no require the extra quilting!!!)

Woo Hooo Go Opus!!!!

and I'm all set up and raring to go today when I get back after work!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sakar

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 10:45:03 AM »
I wish you luck for this!!!!  :flower: