The Sewing Place

Question for a friend

LeilaMay

Question for a friend
« on: July 17, 2017, 09:13:06 AM »
Morning all. I've a friend who thinks she's like a hand crank machine - long story - but she said she'd like "straight stitch and ziz-zag"

now I can't think of a hand machine that ziz-zags - can you?

I use a zigger-zagger on mine, but any suggestions gratefully received.

Thank you
LeilaMay

LeilaMay

Re: Question for a friend
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 09:18:30 AM »
Morning all. I've a friend who thinks she'd like a hand crank machine - long story - but she said she'd like "straight stitch and ziz-zag"

Now I can't think of a hand machine that ziz-zags - can you?

I use a zigger-zagger on mine, but any suggestions gratefully received.

Thank you
LeilaMay

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 19:26:54 PM »
There's one on Helen Howes's website, though it's been reserved.
http://www.helenhowes-sewingmachines.co.uk/buy.html#machinesales
about half way down the page.
Described as
A real oddity - Frister Rossmann Star 60 free-arm with zigzag, which has been hacked as a hand-crank with the addition of a Singer wheel and crank.
Heavy-duty, reasonably practical, with soft cover, manual, extension table, and very little Real Charm...
And Electric Light!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

arrow

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 22:39:21 PM »
I don't think there ever were zigzag hand cranks, but there were a few early zigzag treadles in cabinets. I've seen Berninas, Neumans, Adlers, and a few others whith what looks like original 1950s cabinets, hand wheels and treadle setup. By the time zigzaggers became common treadle cabinets were hardly made anymore. For a hand crank, tell your friend they are practically all straight stitch models, but with the option of a zigzag attachment. I think the last hand cranks were Singer 201K23 and 185K, and those are oddities too. I doubt I will ever seen one first hand. There's just no point in converting a modern electric to hand crank?

A Singer 206, 306 and 319 might take a standard spoked wheel and hand crank, but I have never seen one. Perhaps someone on this forum can confirm it?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 23:40:20 PM by arrow »

Surest1tch

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 15:19:56 PM »
Some of those machines are so gorgeous, I would have them all if I had the space and spare cash of course   :S I especially like the look of that Vickers  :'(

Roger

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 17:32:59 PM »
I was thinking of Helen's Quasimodo machine...

although sewing machines intended for sail making ie:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WvYbN6jrXU are sometimes both electric and handcrank, due to being a portable sailing option for repairing sails possibly becalmed, possibly without power...

A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

arrow

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 21:19:49 PM »
I think some of the later machines equipped with hand crank, isn't really meant to be used alot as a hand crank, just a few precision stitfches here and there. They might have a handle on the balance wheel, but don't have the geared turn over action most hand cranks have.

I came across a this add today. I haven't been able to identify model, but look at the model, swing arm zigzag, adjustment knobs and levers, treadle table and the spoked hand wheel should be able to take a hand crank?

Roger

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 21:43:36 PM »
I was looking at a 216g that might be convertible into a hand crank and has a few zz stitches I think.

Sailmaker Sewing machines I'm not sure about, I had heard they were for repairs and used for finishing sails and boat requirements in situ which is frequently unpowered, hence the addition of a hand crank. in terms of ease of use and intended duration of hand cranking I have no idea... but I would have thought there was some mechanical assistance to help penetrate the tougher fabrics reliably and finish the job to a high standard.
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

arrow

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 22:32:18 PM »
You are probably correct Roger, I hardly know anything about a sailmaker's machine. There is a similar hand crank made for the Featherweight and it's with out the geared part, just fitted to the hand wheel and one turn means one turn of the hand wheel. A few inches will be no problem, maybe a meter or two, but beyond that I would think a real hand crank would have it's advatages enough to find one? Most places should have access to 220V electricity though so probably not a big deal anyhow. 

LeilaMay

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 11:03:33 AM »
Many thanks for all the suggestions, and my apologies for the delay in getting back here - small family crisis kept me AWFK

Roger

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 07:33:36 AM »
No worries it's been a fun discussion, lots of guess work!

Really hope your family crisis wasn't too awful and has settled.