The Sewing Place

Old patterns

b15erk

Old patterns
« on: July 17, 2017, 11:31:31 AM »
I have several boxes full of these, and they will never get used.  They were given to me when a customer's wife closed her sewing shop.

I think I may have used a couple.

Can anyone think of a person or institution which may be able to use these?  Otherwise they will go to the local charity shop.

They are all lacking their front covers, but are otherwise unused.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

LeilaMay

Re: Old patterns
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 12:10:12 PM »
Got any local colleges that do related courses at 'A' level or C&G?

Tamnymore

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 13:21:57 PM »
Secondary schools are always grateful for fabric for their textiles department so you'd think they would be happy to get some patterns. Otherwise it sounds like a charity shop but I hope they charge enough- one of my local charity shops only charges 20p a pattern.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Vegegrow

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 13:34:32 PM »
when pattern companies withdraw patterns/ do a discard  you have to send the covers back to them  and you have to dispose of the inners.. you are not allowed to sell them.. so the staff used to have a look through and you had to write down fabric amounts.. I used to have loads of them but had a cull a couple of years ago I'm afraid the coverless ones ended up in the recycling
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 13:46:50 PM by Vegegrow »
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 13:38:44 PM »
That's exactly what these are Veg.

I'm sure you could get some of the cover info off t'internet, but the instructions and patterns are all there, and intact.

I'll try to find out if any local schools/colleges still have Textile Departments.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Roger

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 21:18:02 PM »
Pattern Joblots seem to sell on ebay too... you could break them into themed batches of 20 and see what you get?
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Lizzy777

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 10:34:22 AM »
Could you not sell them on here in batches as Roger suggested?
(Or if not allowed to sell to ask for a donation to charity instead?)

I would be willing to buy/donate a batch of them to give to a friend who is teaching some teenagers during the school holidays. In fact, I am happy to take several batches if you can't find a home for them. They will be most welcomed by the group I think!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 10:36:06 AM by Lizzy777 »

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 10:41:06 AM »
Lizzy, pm me with your address, and I'll send you a random selection.

Jessie

Lizzy777

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 13:04:39 PM »
Thank you Jessie.

Lizzy