The Sewing Place

Decades of Style

Missie

Decades of Style
« on: July 19, 2017, 14:45:23 PM »
I love the patterns that Decades of Style have and have hankered after a few.  I'm off to a ball in September and finally, I decided to get one of the patterns for their gowns. (https://www.decadesofstyle.com/collections/1940s-sewing-patterns/products/4011-1940s-point-made-gown 

The pattern costs around £20 and shipping (from US) is a flat fee of not much less.  They are obviously trying to encourage you to buy more as in the FAQs, they emphasise the fact that you can buy more patterns without the shipping costs going up.  Well that is far too much money to pay for one pattern, so I shall simply drool over their patterns instead.....unless they decide to go down the PDF route.

Now to try and find another gown pattern I like!

Surest1tch

Re: Decades of Style
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 15:11:33 PM »
Oh that is gorgeous  :)

Manuela

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 15:23:33 PM »
Missie, you might want to have a look at what Marfy have to offer. Ther patterns are probably not much cheaper, but shipping most definitely is, as they are located in Italy.

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 15:42:24 PM »
If the value of the contents is more than £15 then you would be liable for customs charges for parcels sent to the UK from outwith the EU; last time I looked this was £8 plus 20% of the value. Customs don't seem to catch all of these parcels but they put a charge on some of them so I think you would always have to buget for that if buying from the USA.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Missie

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 16:52:55 PM »
Missie, you might want to have a look at what Marfy have to offer. Ther patterns are probably not much cheaper, but shipping most definitely is, as they are located in Italy.

Thanks Manuela, had a quick flick but there wasn't much that grabbed my eye.

Missie

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 17:08:07 PM »

Ravingdoll

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 12:32:58 PM »
I do like the last one, with the scalloped edge.  I am not so sold on the Vogue one but I am not a fan of shiny satins and I am struggling to see past that!  Have you set your heart on a slinky 30s number?  I imagine that it would be very flattering, but like all these deceptively simple designs (as in no fills and fripperies) that the success is in the fitting.  Keep us updated though, I look forward to seeing your progress on this, clearly we have similar tastes! 

**Addition to this post**. Missie - I've just been speaking to an American friend of my mother's who will be coming over here soon to visit her, as I too rather like Decades of Style patterns but can't bring myself to pay the ridiculous amount with postage and possible customs, and she has told me to get them sent to her house and she will bring them over as gifts.  PM me if you want that (or any other) patterns and I will get it sorted then once she is over I can post them to you. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 16:35:48 PM by Ravingdoll »

Francesca

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 20:11:17 PM »
I'm going to the US in September and will have space for a pattern if you really would like it. I've already checked and I can get things sent to my hotel easy peasy :)

Considering that Vogue patterns can be that high I don't think it's too bad.

Missie

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 11:43:30 AM »
Thank you so much Dolly and Fran, your kind offers are appreciated.  Fran I need the dress for September, so I'm afraid you'll be too late!  Dolly, thank you as well.  I've had a look through and the other patterns I'd be interested in, are in fact available as pdf....trust me to pick the one that isn't!

I have now decided to go with the scallop-edged dress from Mrs Depew.  It's not so much that I'm after a slinky look, rather I like simple lines and something a bit different.  Just hoping I can actually work out how to draft the pattern!