The handmade fair, 15-17 September

UttaRetch

The handmade fair, 15-17 September
« on: August 30, 2017, 11:17:21 AM »

Details here.

Francesca

Re: The handmade fair, 15-17 September
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 15:03:25 PM »
What does Kirstie Allsopp even know about handmade? She's terrible at it, which she even admits in her TV shows!

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 16:41:01 PM »
She should stick to the day job.  This is not my sort of thing, but may be of interest to others.  The flyer is very pretty, though. :D

Surest1tch

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 18:53:29 PM »
I hope this doesn't make me sound snobby but what I've seen of Kirsty's home made stuff to me looks amateurish and like a child would make.

Maximum

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 20:23:48 PM »
I won't be going but I think the point is that Kirstie is a well known personality that people have seen, she also has lots of bubbly enthusiasm which encourages people to have a go and try. We all have to start somewhere in order to get more proficient later. It's the same with Tilly, some on this forum are really against her but she has encouraged lots of people to take up sewing and she is a very successful business woman. She also has an infectious and enthusiastic approach which is probably more important than her skill level.

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 10:42:02 AM »
You've hit the nail on the head Maxi, also, Kirstie isn't afraid to have a go, do things badly and see it as a learning curve ( even though we all know she'll never do it again ) It gives one heart  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Francesca

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 12:21:45 PM »
I won't be going but I think the point is that Kirstie is a well known personality that people have seen, she also has lots of bubbly enthusiasm which encourages people to have a go and try. We all have to start somewhere in order to get more proficient later. It's the same with Tilly, some on this forum are really against her but she has encouraged lots of people to take up sewing and she is a very successful business woman. She also has an infectious and enthusiastic approach which is probably more important than her skill level.

I admit I never found her remotely infectious, just irritating. And I still am not a fan of any "businesswoman" who aims to "teach" people but then does stupid and alienating things like cutting out stupid dresses with bodices front and back exactly the same so anyone over an A cup goes "oh no I'm such a dummy this doesn't fit at all I must've done something wrong!" when actually it's the person who they're trusting to teach them who did it wrong by not understanding that women mostly have busts and need properly fitting clothes. It's just lazy and poor in my opinion.

I don't mind Kirstie at all, really love her on LLL actually but I find it odd to have a celebrity who admits herself to being terrible at crafts to run a craft show...

Marniesews

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 23:01:54 PM »
Got to admit that all things Kirstie make me very grumpy indeed.  :angry: Can't get past that,  like DF & Tilly (not keen on button woman either).  :S
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.