The Sewing Place

Singer 401g purchase

SkoutSews

Re: Singer 401g purchase
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 20:33:25 PM »
I've just checked my facts (should have done that first  :|). Seems the Mallard was steam powered and built in 1938. Whoops!

arrow

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 20:41:32 PM »
But both include the functionality to cope with modern fabrics with stretch and patterned stitches, which must have made 201s look rather dull and old.

The major development was the swing arm zigzag and it improved sating stitching quite a lot. I don't see the major difference in handeling so called modern fabrics. Fine knit jersey was common well before 1900, but stretchy lycra, lurex, spandex (has had a lot of names over the years) were introduced in the 50s I think. Any straight stitcher handles nylon, polyester, rayon, modal and viscose very well. The basics can be done with the zigzag attachment, the swiss walking foot attachment is rather good.

Nothing beats the swing arm for certain zigzag jobs, but it wasn't really new. The earliest domestic swing arm machines (swing needle?) I know of is a Mundlos introduced in the late 1920s, Pfaff and Bernina quickly followed with their version of this model. Bernina introduced their zigzag free arm in 1945. The new feature of the 401 is the horizontal drop in bobbin in combination with swing arm zigzag, the other zigzaggers have vertically positioned bobbins. The 401 is very well made though, meshing gears, all steel, direct drive motor... The most advanced domestic machines in these years when it came to handle "modern fabrics" were probably Elna's Supermatic, followed by a few Adler and Gritzner models. By the 50s these models had stretchy overlock type stitches (double layer cams and advanced cam mechansim).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 00:00:55 AM by arrow »

Roger

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 23:28:47 PM »
I've just checked my facts (should have done that first  :|).  Whoops!

My turn... Thanks Arrow, I always think of the post war period as the birth of artificial materials/plastics, and the 50s/60 as being zany spandex designs, I'd forgotten that nylons were 1930s, I hadn't realised that stretch fabrics were available from the 1900s.
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Deafoldbat

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2017, 18:54:23 PM »
Slightly off topic, but how could you possibly confuse an A4 Pacific with a German tram!!! ><
You'll have all the steam train addicts after you...

'On 3 July 1938, the A4 class locomotive Mallard raced down Stoke Bank at 126mph to set a new steam locomotive world speed record. That record still stands.'

SkoutSews

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2017, 11:37:24 AM »
Oh, no, DOB! I can't let you think that was my meaning! The German tram comparison was intended for the 401g, which I appreciate despite its looks.
The Mallard and its rellies are amazing. I have spent many happy hours in the York railway museum admiring the sophisticated engineering behind those sleek lines. There is a similarity of style with Arrow's photo of the Zundapp (new name for me) though.
Please call off the steam train attack dogs......

SkoutSews

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2017, 22:49:30 PM »
I collected my new, old machine today. Some pictures are in the gallery.
It involved a 4 hour round trip, but it was well worth it to avoid the perils of delivery vans. I'm delighted with it!  There hasn't been much time today to get to know it, but I have had it running.  Straight stitch and zigzag are good, balanced stitches and the stitch length regulator is working.  It has the original Bakelite (?) foot pedal, the rectangular block type with a button and a toe rest, but the capacitors have been removed by the seller to avoid phantom sewing. As I learnt to sew on this type of foot pedal it seems familiar, so I probably won't bother replacing it. It's in great condition for its age.  The only visible mark is one scratch on the case and the only other shortcoming I've found so far is that there is only one bobbin with the machine. Oh, and the selector knob is a bit stiff, probably due to lack of use. The drawer set and extension table are present and correct.  Feet include general purpose, straight stitch, zipper, ruffler, binding, button, and rolled hem. There are 5 cams in total.  Even the handbook is in good condition.
The old Singer 163 Capri will be going on Gumtree later this week and the 401g will become my back-up machine. I'll start it off with some curtains soon.  The faster speed compared to my Janome will be good for that job.
I'm very happy and feel lucky to get such a good example.

Roger

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2017, 08:02:19 AM »
Congrats!
It does look lovely! I was checking the pics in the gallery, and you got most of the standard stuff too. I really hope you enjoy it!

You could try tightening the 2 screws on the selector knob, which seems to have helped the selector on mine a lot.

A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

SkoutSews

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2017, 09:26:09 AM »
Thanks for the tip about the selector knob, I'll give it a try.
I've been looking out for a 401g for a couple of years now and I'm very happy with this one  :)