The Sewing Place

Server outage 8:54pm Friday 3rd March

C3PO

Server outage 8:54pm Friday 3rd March
« on: March 03, 2017, 21:26:37 PM »
We suffered a server outage tonight at 8:50. This was caused by a database error, and the system has cured itself

We appear to back up and running. I can't yet say what went wrong, but rest assured we are working on it. As it happened whilst I was online I have captured the error logs from the time that it happened, and will be discussing with the hosting company tech support on Monday morning.

Apologies if we have ruined your Friday night.
Be excellent to one another

UttaRetch

Re: Server outage 8:54pm Friday 3rd March
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 21:37:53 PM »
Yeah, I experienced this but it was able to log back in after about 15 minutes.

Francesca

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 21:46:22 PM »
I think a lot of the issues are because we were hoping to be able to gently ease in to the forum, working out what sort of server load we would have as it grew. As it happens, we've got over 100 members and over a thousand posts in just a few days, so please bear with us. It's been a massive amount of growth very quickly!

Vegegrow

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 22:05:47 PM »
I think we all know the forum is growing very quickly ...thank you for letting us know what is happening
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

DementedFairy

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 15:44:27 PM »
Last night, much later than quoted here,  the forum vanished completely for me, now it's back but with hardly any threads showing [only those in the welcome lounge]
Am I missing something?
C'est moi!

Vegegrow

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 16:09:06 PM »
Yes we seem to up and running fine at the moment...
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

DementedFairy

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 16:50:04 PM »
I still got nothing but this thread.  How odd
C'est moi!

Vegegrow

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 17:21:06 PM »
Can you pm Fran.. I can put a post on the tec page or pm her for you 

SkoutSews

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 17:29:12 PM »
DF is experiencing the curse of the bunting! 

C3PO

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 11:07:17 AM »
I still got nothing but this thread.  How odd
As you are posting elsewhere I am guessing that this is fixed?
Be excellent to one another

Catllar

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 13:53:55 PM »
D'ya know, even the outages are fine, cos you keep us in the loop and we know what's happening ( or not!) ;)
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Vegegrow

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 13:56:43 PM »
D'ya know, even the outages are fine, cos you keep us in the loop and we know what's happening ( or not!) ;)
and you can always pop back to reddit  to see what's happening

MrIminei

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 14:44:37 PM »
We seem to be back. Teething troubles, I am on the case.

MrIminei

Re: Server outages
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 17:31:31 PM »
We have suffered two further outages this afternoon. The first was at about 2:30 this afternoon and technical support at the hosting company have confirmed that it was their problem. I suspect that this may be the case for the other problems we have encountered.

I will talk to their sales people in the morning. We have purchased a hosting plan that advertises 99.9% up time. I am a little bit  :angry: and  :'(

You may be interested to see the stats from the first 3 days (well Lowena said she liked stats!)

Between Wednesday morning and Friday night we served 70,681 pages and had 135,058 hits from 609 visitors. Forum software is quite intensive because every page has to be individually built by the server - it is all working in real time (even when you hit the post button the server checks nobody else has said enything while you were typing).

Whilst this exceeded our expectations it is not beyond what the systems will cope with. Having said that we will keep the hosting under review.

Lowena

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 17:54:12 PM »
Glad we're back and thanks for the stats  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D