The Sewing Place

Not a Negative Nellie

Lowena

Not a Negative Nellie
« on: July 25, 2017, 14:41:51 PM »
Hiya, sometimes I worry ( I'm a great worrier ) that I come across as negative. I truly am not. I don't have much self belief and have no family or friends who are remotely interested in what I do and how I do it.
I look upon my Dark Side friends as the only true quilting friends I have and value your opinions. Sometimes it's easier to open up to "friends once removed" and air worries,angsts and concerns, especially when you know that they really do give a damn  :D
I love TDS and love making things. However, to myself, I never seem to improve  :| and sometimes need a kick up the rear or a big hug ... in equal measures, where appropriate so that I can go on and challenge myself to attack more difficult projects ( Mystery quilt, BOM, FPP being prime examples )
So, sorry if I seem like a moaning minnie but you are my tutors, classmates, friends and soulmates and are treasured as such. I'll try to keep quieter from now on... but, if you can, please ( as they say on Miranda ) bear with.... <3 <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

b15erk

Re: Not a Negative Nellie
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 14:44:13 PM »
Sending the biggest hug Low!  Just because.....

:flower: <3 :flower:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Syrinx

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 15:10:18 PM »
Big hugs. The first FPP BOM will be a very pretty and easy one to get you going. It really is a case of follow instructions and it will all look lovely. No worries about points or anything, it will all be marvelous. I think you'll love FPP Low, as it takes some of the tricky confusion about piecing out of the equation and you just sew a straight line, then another straight line, and the straight lines are printed so you just follow the line! Easy peasy :)

maliw

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 15:13:15 PM »
Noooo, don't keep quieter, I'd miss you. You're not negative, we all have things that we can't/don't like/don't want to do. And just because some of us like green :devil: :devil: only joking. :flower: :flower: :flower: <3 <3 <3
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Pearl

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 15:39:11 PM »
No, definitely don't stay quiet.  We miss you when you go to Tenby are not around.

supergran

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 16:01:39 PM »
No need to keep quiet Lowena. I bet most of us have the same doubts and fears at times. It's good to be able to share and  get help and encouragement along the way. We're all learning as we go. Keep the  faith, you can do it.  :loveit:  <3

Snowgoose

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 17:25:09 PM »
Sending you a huge bunch of  :flower:  :flower:  :flower:

You are much, much braver than me - I'm frightened of even cutting into my fabric  8)

Maximum

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 18:11:11 PM »
Lowena - I don't find you negative at all. You are honest and say it how you find it at the time. Nothing wrong with that and most of us might feel better for doing it more often.
I didn't start the mystery quilt simply because I had no idea where it was going or what it would look like! No offence Imi but I wasn't going to buy fabric without knowing what I was doing. I might well do the tutorials to practise the blocks, so all good info.
Lowena, why sweat with the geese? You have done enough to know you are far from keen! Maybe try some of the other methods or just decide geese are not for you.
Do what you enjoy. Try new things to open horizons or learn something new and then do what brings you pleasure.
I enjoy EPP and hand sewing but only in small amounts and if I'm in the mood. Likewise like knitting but not all the time. I did a local course and produced a sample quilt, which was good socially and got me started. I only had to do one of each block so not too onerous or boring. Some blocks I hated, others were easy but I would not want to do lots and others were fun and slightly challenging so much more "my kind of thing". I also followed a bought quilt pattern as a present for my grand daughter. I needed something to do while electricians tore the house apart and it served that purpose but I wouldn't repeat it.
Enjoy what you do and do what you enjoy :D

Ellabella

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 19:20:19 PM »
Big hugs Low{{{  <3}}}, you are not a MM!

You are honest enough to admit you find some things difficult and there are things you don't enjoy.

Just do the bits you enjoy and hang the rest. Life is too short to put yourself under unnecessary pressure.

You've done a quilt for Project Linus and you've sent things abroad so more than one person is getting pleasure from your efforts.

Its hard with no sewing friends in the real world but you have loads of real friends on here.

Catllar

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 21:55:57 PM »
Not at all a MM, Low! Don't keep quiet. I think you're really brave to speak out when you are struggling or just plain pissed off. Stay just as you are! <3 <3 <3
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 12:09:49 PM »
Mmnnnn.... Snowgoose has a house full of untouched virgin fabric, eh ???...
Mr Im, Fancy a jolly to Cornwall ???

I only give out boots up the bum on request Low

and as we in TDS all know
Low is Low and we love her just the way she is!

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Snowgoose

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 14:37:59 PM »
Mmnnnn.... Snowgoose has a house full of untouched virgin fabric, eh ???...
Mr Im, Fancy a jolly to Cornwall ???

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
Half a cupboard full  8)

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 14:39:33 PM »
Is it a big cupboard?  How many of us should be coming?   ;)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Snowgoose

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 16:15:06 PM »
Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe size...  :D  :D  :D

rubywishes

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2017, 08:57:37 AM »
Low, you are one of the first peeps that responded to my posts when I first joined TSF....I have cherished you being in my "other life". Like you, I have no friends or family interested in what I do, and it does make it so very hard sometimes to try and keep your enthusiasm and determination up when time and again you seem to fall short of your own expectations. That's where this "other life" comes into play...to encourage , bolster, sympathise and not judge us as we crow our achievements, whimper our failures, and seek company and understanding from people so far away and diverse it is truly mind boggling. Love you big time kiddo...now I'm off for a  :toast:, it's nearly tea time.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!