The Sewing Place

looking for a pattern

arrow

looking for a pattern
« on: July 26, 2017, 23:27:25 PM »
I want a type of trousers I haven't seen in way over 15 years, maybe 20. No stores around here carry anything close enough. I could maybe have one ordered by brands like Melka; they have a catalog of models going back forever and I think they still make stuff to measure.They are way out of style though, but I still want one or two. I just can't make slim fit work for me ( I'm too fat), certainly not the sort of one-size-too-small look.

How do you track down a out of style pattern? It's not the most in-style vintage either. I would make it in a type of smooth but sturdy mercerised cotton, maybe twill weave if I can find it. This is the closest I could find to what I have in mind.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 01:38:35 AM by arrow »

Manuela

Re: looking for a pattern
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 23:57:48 PM »
Assuming you want a mens pattern, how about Vogue 2383? The insert/stripes at the side seam can be removed easily. They currently have a sale  :)

arrow

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 00:28:54 AM »
That was quick! They are a bit too wide for 2017 aren't they lol  :P, but I still want it. The pattern is close enough for what I have in mind. Why did they do stripes at the side? I guess I can do it all the pieces in the same fabric and it will be less visible. I can't detect much in the photo. I hope I can mange it.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 00:33:32 AM by arrow »

Manuela

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 00:39:33 AM »
The stripes at the side seams are usually done in sateen, matching the lapel of the dinner jacket - very formal, and can look smashing on the right guy  :)

arrow

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 00:52:49 AM »
Thanks again. Passepoil pockets (can't rember the corret word for it, we borrow a French term here), I have a book on how to do it. I didn't go for a tuxedo look though, more like every day. This is what I just can't do at all. On this guy it looks reasonably loose, I guess you have to be tall and thin to make it work.

This type of trousers I expect I can find, but the front pokets aren't rigth, these not quite like on jeans, but with out the pocked folds from the waist.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 00:56:48 AM by arrow »

Manuela

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 01:06:41 AM »
They don't look like tuxedo trousers when done in a different fabric. You could always add/glue the pattern piece of the side strip/panel onto the front pattern piece. The more relaxed fit is achieved with the waist pleats, these give you the room you need.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 03:03:42 AM by Manuela »

Manuela

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 01:13:32 AM »
Burda 7022 would be another option, it has a slim and a wider leg version, and is easier to make by the look of it as well  :)

arrow

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 01:32:08 AM »
Thanks for the help, now lots of trouses and patterns are turning up on my searches. I found this picture, but it looks like it's for the jacket. I like the first vogue patern, I have to order it. Do you print it out yourself or buy it on the web?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 01:34:05 AM by arrow »

Manuela

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 03:02:41 AM »
I personally don't like PDF patterns, I rather buy the actual paper pattern. Then I trace it and hack it until it is exactly what I want  :devil:
I often work with block patterns I make, but that's a different story.
When I sew clothes for Mr Manuela, I usually use commercial patterns. Only when I really can't find what I need/want, I go back to my pattern books and make the pattern myself (for his Sherlock coat for example).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 03:05:45 AM by Manuela »

arrow

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 22:24:51 PM »
I agree with you, I just can't see my self printing it out in A3 or A4, cutting and drawing it onto tissue paper. I probably need to go on a diet to get into the vouge size (...it annoys me endlessly!). The burda patterns adjusts to any size it seems.

Your Sherlock coat impress me a lot and I could wear that with ease. The other "Dr Watson" coat with the cape like shoulder piece would catch a lot of attention in this little town lol
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 22:28:23 PM by arrow »

Manuela

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 00:23:50 AM »
The Vogue pattern come is two size ranges, a pet peeve of mine, you choose them when you pit the pattern im your basket.
Burda usually hbe all sizes included, and I think the Burda pattern looks closer to what you want.

arrow

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 00:31:21 AM »
I have to sit down and read up on the size standards. They are very confusing, and I can't make out what waist measure is in inches or centimeters. I'm sure I will like both trousers if I manage to get them right :- )  You might be right about the Burda pattern, at least I understood the measures a bit better.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 13:53:40 PM by arrow »

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 09:40:30 AM »
Men's trousers will have waist measurements in the region of 30 - 40+ inches or 75 - 100+ cm.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.