The Sewing Place

Bootstrap dress form

Ellabella

Bootstrap dress form
« on: July 29, 2017, 16:53:07 PM »
I've just seen this on Bootstrap and might have to give it a go, although the thought of confronting what I actually look like will be very daunting.

I've done the Craftsy course on cusomising a dress form but this seems like an excellent shortcut.

http://patterns.bootstrapfashion.com/index.php/sewing-patterns/women/exclusive-diy-dress-form-sewing-pattern-and-a-complete-step-by-step-sewing-photo-guide-2156.html

Madame Cholet

Re: Bootstrap dress form
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 00:17:49 AM »
Thanks so much for posting that link Ellabella  :D

After reading positive reviews and watching the seller's youtube video (link below) I am seriously considering making one for myself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjK4NXagI0Y

Here's a blog too with a detailed tutorial: https://kelly.hogaboom.org/2017/07/bootstrap-dress-form-tutorial-preparing-your-pattern/

I love the idea that it is pinnable. The only issue I can forsee would be finding a suitable stand for a reasonable price.

Has anybody here made one?

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 07:51:34 AM »
A couple of PatternReviews here.  I must admit that I didn't take much notice, but have a proper look.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 09:53:29 AM »
Thank you for posting that link Utta Retch... the gist of the reviews is that the project is initially daunting, assembly is complicated, but the end result is well worth the effort, and yes they would make one again.
Once I find a stand which is fit for purpose I am going to take the plunge and make one.

Ellabella

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 15:43:14 PM »
I have an inherited dress form that is much too small for me so I plan to use that as a base and hopefully won't need too much stuffing.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 20:09:05 PM »
This blogger came up with a novel solution to the sourcing a suitable stand problem!

http://twoontwooff.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/this-is-freaking-amazing.html

charlotte

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 11:32:21 AM »
Resurrecting this zombie thread, as I have just sent my Bootstrap custom dress form pattern to the printers!

I am excited to make this up, but (for full disclosure) have had a bit of a negative experience with Bootstrap.

It somehow took my measurements in inches, when I entered them in cm. I know this was not entirely my error, as there is only one chance to choose the units at the top of the form, and it recorded my height in cm but the other measurements in inches, which should actually not be possible! In any case, the automated system threw it back (post payment), but I have not been able to get in touch with Bootstrap. In the end, I ordered the whole thing again (on my work laptop rather than my iPad) and it worked. I am now having to pursue a refund through PayPal for the original order, as Bootstrap will not respond at all.

Fortunately, I downloaded my pattern and the instructions yesterday as I now can't even access the site!

I have some upholstery fabric in my stash, I've ordered a £16 coat stand off Amazon and I need to get to B&Q to buy some pipe for the centre. You also need sponge for the neck, but I'm going to try with layers of memory foam, as i already have some of that. I will let you know how it goes!

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 15:15:25 PM »
The Bootstrap mannequinn is more work than I would want to do, but I have recently seen one that beared little resemblance to the real body and couldn't help but thinking it is going to be useless as a body double on which to fit patterns.

Ploshkin

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 18:13:28 PM »
@charlotte I have thought, a few times, about making one of these and was going to ask if anyone else had considered it.  I will follow your progress with interest - please post as you go along.  It was something I was possibly planning for when I finally have a bigger sewing room with room for a dress form.  Building hasn't yet started but is fairly imminent.
Life's too short for ironing.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 20:00:29 PM »
If you search for 'customise dress form' on YouTube there are lots of tutorials about doing just that to your existing form, although, as ever, you need someone competent to do your measurements for you!

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 08:28:31 AM »
I don't think this particular Bootstrap form is representative of the real body. 

charlotte

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2020, 09:57:50 AM »
I don't think this particular Bootstrap form is representative of the real body.

The bust is too low, but I don't think it is terrible apart from that! Perhaps she took her measurements wearing a different bra. The midriff looks quite different but I think it might be closer if she wasn't wearing jeans. The shoulder width and length look correct and these are things that are very difficult to alter on a normal dress form.

I am not expecting to be able to use it for intensive fitting, but I hope that I will be able to get the length right. I think even with a 'custom' pattern it is unreasonable to expect it to fit without any adjustments - even my self-drafted slopers need toile fittings before I make anything. The tricky part is that this will all have to be done by measuring, as I obviously won't be able to try it on.

The trouble with my adjustable form is that the bust is too low and there is too big a gap between the bust and the waist. Plus I cannot get the bust small enough and the waist big enough at the same time, which makes it tricky to even put fitted garments on it for hemming.

I know it will never be as good as fitting on my 'real' body (for a start I will make a symmetrical form when I know I am not!) but I hope it will make it slightly easier to work on fitting myself solo.

UttaRetch

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2020, 10:03:46 AM »
The bust is too low
It is also bigger than her own and the dummy has a waist, which she does not.  As I said before, making this dressform is more work than I care to do, but good luck with your endeavour.

Elnnina

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2020, 11:07:19 AM »
Please may I make a suggestion to those who are wanting to use an existing dress form to create a shape that more or less duplicates them.  Rather than open up to make bigger an existing adjustable dress form, leave this closed right down  and yes I know that sounds rather odd, but if you  open them up there are gaps and sometimes huge gaps that allow any wadding to fall through.  Provided the bust you want is bigger than the ready formed one, you can always pad out and hopefully get this in a position to suit your particular needs.  I used the lofty wadding that is easily found in shops it is nothing like the American waddings/batting and this lofty wadding does cover up a multitude of lumps and bumps.  Then when you are satisfied you have the bust in the right place, why not dress her in one of your bras.  If you are having to make an existing dress form a lot bigger, the wadding will make a wonderful base to pin into.  Mine is covered with layers of ribbed thermal vests - the type that M&S sell for men, but have seen better days due to constant wearing and these are ideal as you can see clearly the ribs and get these in position for CB and CF,also the vests are nice and long, and these vests hold the wadding securely enough although in places I have sort of tacked through the wadding to hold it.  My duplicate of me needed lots of extra wadding to get her to my shape as I have put on a lot of weight, and now I am more or less satisfied as to her finish I have her dressed in a calico toile that was an excellent fit on me and have this so that the calico is ever so slightly strained.  Thus I can drape and pin in tightly and hopefully get a good fit then I know it will be okay on me.  I have mentioned in another post that once I have my CB and CF lines in place, I have sewn a thick string of curtain weights in place, in fact not only the CB and CF, but the underarm seam, the shoulder princess seams back and front, and the shoulder seams - this is so I can feel the ridge through fabric and it is working.