The Sewing Place

Style Arc Flat bottom Flo pants

maliw

Style Arc Flat bottom Flo pants
« on: July 30, 2017, 11:17:11 AM »
I wondered if anyone has made this pattern with just woven fabric instead of the stretch woven that is suggested. I've got a big piece of a 'thinnish' denim that I've had for ages and was going to use it as a wearable toile but it has no 'give' whatsoever. Would I be wasting the fabric?
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

CarolC

Re: Style Arc Flat bottom Flo pants
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 11:45:40 AM »
Hi - I've not made that pattern, but just looking at it on line, I don't think it would work for non-stretch. They are pull-on, so would be hard to get on if your hips are bigger than your waist even with the elastic waist. Also, stretch patterns tend to be cut with less "ease" (built in extra fabric to allow movement) than woven patterns, so it also almost certainly come out too small in a woven.

You could measure the pattern itself and see how it compares to your measurements - you normally need 5-10cm (2-4") of wearing ease to move in wovens, so possibly it would work in a slightly bigger size.

Helen M

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 15:25:39 PM »
I don't think it would work with a fabric with no stretch at all, I think they recommend bengaline which has a lot of stretch.

One thing I try with pull on pants by Style Arc is to make up the waistband and try it over your hips. That will tell if the fabric will work.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 15:59:41 PM by Helen M »
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Surest1tch

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 16:13:14 PM »
I've made several pairs without the stretch fabrics, you need to put a zip in or they won't pull up over your hips.  I've put invisible zips in the back of the ones I've made and they fit lovely, no saggy bottoms or "camels toe effect"  :devil: at the front.

maliw

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 17:39:27 PM »
Thank you for the replies, I hadn't read the pattern so hadn't realised that there wasn't a zip - doh :|, looks like that will be the way to go.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 22:56:06 PM »
So i'm the opposite - I've made 2 pairs in non-stretch and no zip and up  they went no problem - but then I have no hips or bum to speak of. I think a lot depends on the amount of difference between your hip and waist. I you've got a lot of difference you'll need a zipper.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

lakaribane

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 14:42:11 PM »
I bought this pattern for Mme E, my mother and wrote to SA because I have never seen Bengaline fabric. Here is the reply:

our Begaline is a stretch woven and has approx 5% Lycra and gives 20 - 25% stretch.

My mother has no derrière but she does have hips, though very slim now. I am going to test several fabrics in my stash to see what I can use. Will report back!