The Sewing Place

Quilting Cotton to Make a Dress?

fajita

Quilting Cotton to Make a Dress?
« on: July 30, 2017, 19:39:12 PM »
Is this acceptable or is it doomed to disaster?
I have three metres of this 100% cotton fabric by Lotta Jansdotter.
I think it would make a nice summer weight dress, maybe even the Vogue 1410 pattern I have.
What do you think?

Vegegrow

Re: Quilting Cotton to Make a Dress?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 19:52:08 PM »
I would say that quilting cotton has more body than an ordinary dress weight cotton so  a vogue 1410 will hold its shape.. but others may have made quilting cotton into dresses and will be of more help.. -<
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

SkoutSews

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 22:02:24 PM »
My own experience of using quilting cotton for a blouse was not good. It was quite a stiff fabric and didn't drape well. It was disappointing enough for me to decide never to try again! In fact the garment was never completed and languishes in my scrap fabric box. Others might have had better results.

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 22:44:39 PM »
Sorry Fajita, but quilting cotton for clothing is a no-no in my books.  SkoutSews makes the case for the prosecution.  0_0

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 08:04:11 AM »
I agree!

The fact that QC has more body rules a lot of garments out from the outset. add to that the amount of fabric garments use and the average cost of QC at £10 per metre ...which is also only 42" wide ......and it makes for a very expensive make for an adult.

I have however seen divine children's garments made from QC.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

fajita

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 08:17:51 AM »
Thanks everybody for your input. I had half an idea that would be the verdict  :'(
But not to worry, I have some viscose being delivered soon  :D

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 10:18:44 AM »
These garments are all made from quilting cotton. 

I've also got a couple of dresses made from quilting weight batik cotton.  All of them are regularly worn and washed through the summer months and they are all wearing better than a couple of viscose blouses made from similar weight fabric.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 10:50:23 AM »
I have successfully made a dress out of quilting/patchwork cotton, but it was quite a structured skirt and bodice.

I would pre-wash the fabric thoroughly first though as it has quite a high rate of shrinkage.
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 14:07:59 PM »
It really depends on the cotton.  Some are designed just as craft or dressmaking.  But there are some that are designed to be used for either.  Shops are often asked if they want the fabric on bolts or rolled.  Some of these are perfectly OK for garments.  But I often think the prints scream P&Q.  I,ve never seen any of this make of fabric but for testing, try holding it in front of you and see how it hangs and drapes.  Of course, structured may be what you are after!

Manuela

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 14:10:23 PM »
I'm also in the pro camp, it does depend what type of thress you want to make though. Quilting cotton doesn't have much drape, hence it's better suited for something that doesn't require that.
I am currently working on a dress using a cotton and steel quilting cotton  ;)
I pre-washed it and put it in the dryer to soften it.

PS: looking at the pattern, quilting cotton migh actually work  :)

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 14:14:47 PM by Manuela »

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 15:58:28 PM »
Undoubtedly, there are some beautifully patterned quilting cottons but I am snobbish about using these fabrics for clothing.  I also frown upon novelty prints, especially animal, and Bajasusana can testify to this as I have poured scorn on both.  0_0

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 16:56:35 PM »
If you can get to a decent bricks and mortar P&Q supply shop (I'm spoiled here as there is one just a few miles away in Rochester  0_0 ) you can see that craft/patchwork fabrics vary quite a bit in quality.  Some have a relatively coarse open weave, others are finer.  Batiks are usually fairly fine and of a closer weave.  Really it's a case of assessing each fabric together with the pattern. 

The dresses I have made with P&Q fabrics are all full skirted, mostly 50s retro patterns so fairly structured.  I don't think that a straight skirt or sheath dress would be successful if made with P&Q cotton fabric.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 16:38:39 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Efemera

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 17:01:40 PM »
I've made lots of dresses with quilting cotton.... as with all fabrics quilting cottons vary... from cheap and nasty stiff stuff to lovely fine almost sateen quality... if it feels OK then use it... there are no fabric police!

fajita

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 21:13:26 PM »
Thank you, all. 
I might just make the dress with the cotton, and if it doesn't work, I can always unpick it and cut it into 5" squares  :snip:

I have washed it and tumble dried it, and it does feel nice and smooth.
And my viscose arrived today, that's currently in the wash.

Missie

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 10:31:11 AM »
My Garden Party Dress (see the summer frock thread) was made with quilting cotton and I love it, so I'm definitely in the pro camp, but as with all fabrics and matching to pattern, it has to be the right pattern.