The Sewing Place

What do you do with your quilts?

Lowena

What do you do with your quilts?
« on: July 31, 2017, 08:53:27 AM »
I have, to date, made 18 quilts. Mostly lap or sofa quilts ( before I discovered hand quilting was ideal for bigger items )
6 have been given away, whether wanted or not  :D ( don't worry, it's not a Maths problem  :D ) but what to do with the other 12 ( soon to be 13 )? At the moment they are folded and piled in a plastic crate, in the workshop. They are only ever looked at when they are refolded. One is for the sofa, but OH keeps hiding it when he straightens the cushions  :devil:
What do you do with your completed quilts
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

Re: What do you do with your quilts?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 09:20:00 AM »
I haven't faced that problem yet as I'm only on my 4th.  The first is still in a bag but  I intend sending it to Project Linus.  The second was a small wall hanging for a specific bit of wall.  The third I made just for me because I wanted to and the 4th (the mystery quilt) I intend giving to my MIL who is in a nursing home.
I would have made more but haven't had a reason - I have no children therefore no grandchildren, there are no babies in the offing from nieces and nephews and I have a very small house and don't do cluttered walls or excess drapery.  So, I'm not sure where I will go from here. 
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 09:39:06 AM »
Glad I started this thread then Ploshy, can't have you giving up  :D
I hate wall hangings. My husband sees no point in quilts when we have perfectly good duvets and none of my friends / family want them. Apart from the last one, I don't think any are good enough for Linus and hospice, hospital, care homes don't want them because of hygene regulations. I'm not bothered ( although the crate is full ) but am genuinely interested in what happens to people's finished quilts  <3

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 10:06:48 AM »
I've got a couple out which I use as lap quilts, one just decorating the back of a chair (that my star friendship quilt) and the big Shakespear in the Park is currently on our bed - it's not as warm as a duvet so only used (with a top sheet!) in the summer.  A couple of the others are the right size to use as table cloths, occasionally for meals but also if I have lace making friends round a quilt provides good protection for the table.  Otherwise they are piled up in the top of the wardrobe and I'm under orders not to make any more unless I give them away!  That's why I was so keen to make the wedding pressie one!

Oh yes, I've got one small wall hanging, but no space for any more.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 10:15:11 AM »
Glad it's not only me with a storage problem  :D

tumblina

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 12:45:25 PM »
Right now I only have 2 finished bed sized quilts (one I made, one a gift), but I have no problem piling multiple quilts when it's cold out! I still have two more beds...

Starryfish

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 13:23:13 PM »
This is why I have not started on this particular branch of sewing!  I make my own clothes, and that's it. I have taken up lacemaking, but the storage problem will be miniscule.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

fajita

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 13:35:13 PM »
I've made about ten cot sized quilts. Mostly as gifts for family and work colleagues babies. I've made one double sized one, which was a very ambitious challenge before I knew what I was doing. That hangs on the wall by the stairs. I've got two half made ones, I've tops done but no backing. They have no home, so probably why I haven't finished them.
I see the cost of making them equivalent to the money some people spend on nights in the pub and packets of cigarettes, ie disposable. My thought is, if I do end up with too many, I can figure out how ebay works and sell them. Any return must be better than feeling resentful of their storage problems.

arrow

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 14:15:05 PM »
Does any of you make to need or demand? Churning out one quilt after another can feel very industrial, but then you have to create demand and appeal that probably isn't there to begin with. It is of course to a certain extent, but you need to reach the right people. I don't mind though, I don't think we are anything close to a limit for quilts and patch work blankets. I came across this add a couple of weeks ago. The seller is probably experienced with patch work and quilts and offers large bed size cover items as well as sofa blanket size. The asks about £450 to £1120 for each (converted from todays exchange rate), which might be what they are worth considering all the creativity and fabric, but it's on the expensive side.

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 14:41:53 PM »
People always want "a bargain" or "something for nothing" Mine are not good enough to sell or raffle anyway  :|
I make, because I enjoy it... but, it seems a shame that the finished items never see the light of day again

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 14:53:12 PM »
... My husband sees no point in quilts when we have perfectly good duvets ...

Change your duvet for a thinner one and turn your heating off earlier in the winter.  He'll think a patchwork quilt on top of your duvet is a godsend.   :angel:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

arrow

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 15:03:57 PM »
I'm sure they are good enough Lowena, things doesn't have to be perfect all the time. The stuff we buy in stores often aren't perfect either; just good enough :- )

Are they cotton with backing and bump inbetween? They should be wanted and very nice to have on the sofa or arm chair. We tend to be very picky with interiors; some of us have this urge to color and pattern match; sort of weed out everything that doesn't suit the thought of the moment. Not just any quilt will be accepted. I try not to match everything too strictly, or weed out too much, it easily ends up to barren and not the way I wan it. People are different that way.

Efemera

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 15:45:16 PM »
I've made dozens.. some I've given away, a few I've sold but just about covered the cost of materials. There's 2in the lounge, one over a footstool, one over the back of a chair. 2 in the caravan, about 6 folded in a cupboard, one over the bannister and a few over an old towel rail in the spare bedroom...I'm sure there's more stashed away somewhere!

BrendaP

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 17:01:06 PM »
I have taken up lacemaking, but the storage problem will be miniscule.

:o  :o  :o
Multiple lace pillows need oodles of storage space, not to mention drawers full of bobbins and boxes of different threads, and of course shelves full of books and a box full of prickings.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 17:06:30 PM »
We used to have a pile of quilts on the footstool in the living room ...
Nasa recorded that it could be seen from space!

Since the decorating of the living room, I have been limited to one, The Aurora quilt... which has been used recently on the colder evenings of this 'summer'.

Although there are also three 'rolled' cot quilts, (Mystery Quilt, Cot Quilt for the New and Nervous, and the Cowboy Quilt) that Imself hasn't really 'noticed' yet, that are on top of the back of the armchair in the lounge ...
excellent way to store them btw ... rolling them around a cardboard tube inner ... no creasing !!!

I fully intend to start smuggling the big quilts past security and back into the lounge!

Apart from that ....

We have a panel and two quilts hanging in the lounge ... one of which is The FOQ Undersea

The Undulating Terror hanging in the hall....

Tsumugi Boxes and the 'Ironing board cover that never was' hanging in the dining room (this often doubles as a design wall ... in fact at the moment of writing there are a couple of blocks pinned to it!)

Upstairs on the landing wall, the HSTathon is currently 'relaxing (I really hope those  kinks work themselves out) having replaced The Opus, which is next under The Splurges harp.

And on the chest at the end of my bed is the Rags to Riches, Ten, The Parrot Quilt and Stellarious, (which will resume its position in the hall downstairs once the Undulating Terror goes off to the FoQ)

and in the spare/wardrobe/art/sewing room we have Pink (waiting for its label) and the Black & White jobby for Lucia, recently layered and awaiting quilting ... both of which have a delivery date of early next year.

Problem  with quilts, Moi ???

hahhahahahahaaha
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again