The Sewing Place

What do you do with your quilts?

BrendaP

Re: What do you do with your quilts?
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2017, 17:13:50 PM »
The seller is probably experienced with patch work and quilts and offers large bed size cover items as well as sofa blanket size. The asks about £450 to £1120

A bed size quilt will cost about £250+ for materials alone without charging for time and skill.

The wedding present I'm making 80" x 80", used a lot of stash fabric for the top, but I bought 4.5 metres of wadding, 4.5 metres of fabric for the backing, 0.5m for the binding and I've used two large (800m) reels of thread.  If you add to that maybe a total of 9m of fabrics for the top (my rule of thumb is double the amount needed for the backing) and I've no idea how many hours of time it's taking.  I'm not surprised that she's asking that much.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Catllar

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2017, 17:31:08 PM »
I've got 5 hanging on walls in various rooms. 2 bed quilts currently boxed as it's too hot for anything. Then I've got another five currently thrown onto the garden armchairs and settee thing to add some colour. This is a good solution for me - I don't make anything huge nowadays because I get bored, so big  enough for a 2 seater settee is fine. They get bleached out by the sun after a couple of seasons anyhow so then they off to the charity shop or animal shelter.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Syrinx

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 18:30:29 PM »
I don't seem to have any hanging around at the moment. They always seem to be made and given as gifts! I seriously thought about keeping the bargello, but it was appreciated and my partner's mother cried when she unwrapped it. She always puts it on our bed when we visit. She thought it was too nice to be used on the sofa (that I made it for - weird size and everything!) so it lives on various beds.

Others I know are definitely used are the ones I make for small cousins. One cousin came over last xmas and asked if I might be able to make the newest small cousin of hers (third child) a quilt as well as her daughter had one, and the other cousin had one (her eldest sadly died at a few days old - I've been tempted to make him a quilt, but I don't really know what sort) and I said I'm sure I could sort something out. A few hours later they were opening the presents and her youngest (and the other youngest cousin!) opened big squishy packages and voila! Two lovely new quilts. One promptly hugged it and fell asleep on it, mum of other one took quilt and said it was too lovely for small snotty grotty poopy child to have! As far as I know, all quilts are on the beds of the small humans.

I have a WIP spiral flying geese quilt for me, and this new FPP one, and I've got a couple of sampler quilts on the go now with my BOMs starting. All of the others I've made seem to have been gifted away and I'm sad about this. Oh and the cat has a tiny scrap quilt that he has covered in hair and somewhat shredded. Not that I made it very well, as scrap quilt for the cat!

Lowena

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2017, 19:22:41 PM »
I made a quilt for each of my 4 Granddaughters ( 16,12,10,9 ) and apart from the eldest one in whose room the quilt is folded on the back of a chair, I have never seen any of the others again. Even when I was looking after them and cleaned / tidied the house I never saw hide nor hair of them...... perhaps they ate them  :D :D
My dil ( their mother and separated from my son ) made it clear that if it doesn't come from Next or IKEA she won't give it houseroom  :D Still, each to their own, at least she let me know before I wasted time and money.
My best friend said the same "don't ever give me anything homemade " but "I'll have one for the dog"  :D :D
So, my mountain will just grow higher, unless I get good enough to donate to Linus ( I have one ready to go  :angel: )
I'm just interested in how you all house so many..... <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

arrow

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2017, 19:50:19 PM »
...if it doesn't come from Next or IKEA she won't give it houseroom...

...My best friend said the same "don't ever give me anything homemade " but "I'll have one for the dog"...

That's the worst thing I ever heard (or read technically). Ikea isn't always that bad, but it's very limited to a few designer minds and always about mass production and cutting costs. There is a lot of room for making nicer stuff and better quality, especially something like a quilt. Is it the home made look that's out of style? A more store bought look would be the quilting seam on one piece of fabric. The only tredy quilt I know of are jackets like these, they are still on here.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 21:34:16 PM by arrow »

BrendaP

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2017, 21:09:45 PM »
We don't have an Ikea near enough to visit to to really know what their stuff is like, but I'm not fond of Next.  The local one only has clothes, but honestly the Matalan on the other side of the car park has better.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

wrenkins

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2017, 08:55:43 AM »
If I receive a hand made gift I am beyond thrilled. If there little dodgy bits or parts that don't quite meet up or whatever I don't see them. All I know is that while it was being made for me I was being thought about and loved enough for someone to go to all that time and trouble. That's more than good enough for me.  <3
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Acorn

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2017, 09:36:11 AM »
Same here!  Nobody gives me handmade presents, but I have given many, many of them over the years.  Some gratefully and enthusiastically received, but others, in retrospect, probably got put straight into a drawer and never saw the light of day again.

I would be delighted to receive something handmade - particularly if it had been made specifically for me.

I have one quilt on top of the wardrobe in our bedroom, which we use instead of the duvet when it's hot and as well as it when it's cold.  We have a summer weight duvet all year, so we tend to use it a lot in the winter.  There are two more in the blanket box which used to be our main ones but have been superceded (one is pretty much worn out anyway).

There is another folded on a chair in the guest room for people to use in the same way.

Cot quilts have been made and given over the years.  They seemed to be well received but I have never been in a position to see whether they were actually used.  One, I suspect, was, the others may have been put away as too nice to be used.

The current work in progress (very stalled since I discovered how much I hate hand quilting in the ditch) is hanging over the banister on the landing - we have a galleried landing which, now I think about it, just begs for a few folded quilts to be hanging over it rather than just the WIP.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

arrow

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2017, 00:29:27 AM »
It sounds like I should probably think about buying one from you, especially if you have a pile of them hidden away. I like all cotton stuff in nice colors :- )  Are the ones with cotton bump very expensive?

A few days ago I came across this picture when searching for fabrics. They looks so nice.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 00:31:44 AM by arrow »

Lowena

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2017, 10:05:32 AM »
Sorry Arrow, what's "cotton bump" please?  :|

Iminei

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2017, 11:08:55 AM »
Curtain interlining Low ...

When I first started I used itfor my very first one, two or three quilts ...
I liked the drape you got with it and as I knew no better I thought it was wadding!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 11:16:21 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2017, 11:14:15 AM »
Oh, I see, thanks Imi  <3

BrendaP

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2017, 11:28:54 AM »
Sorry Arrow, what's "cotton bump" please?  :|

Interlining used for heavy curtains AKA quilt wadding or in USA quilt batting.

Lowena

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2017, 11:49:19 AM »
Thanks B  :flower:

Iminei

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2017, 13:24:53 PM »
AKA quilt wadding or in USA quilt batting.

Woo Hoo !! I was right all along!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again