The Sewing Place

Sorry, me again! Can you mix Batiks and Quilting Cotton

Lowena

Sorry, me again! Can you mix Batiks and Quilting Cotton
« on: July 31, 2017, 17:16:09 PM »
Title says it all really. I want to make a quilt with batiks but was hoping to use quilting cotton for the sashing and border. Would this be a good idea?
Supplementary question.. I have some bobbins already wound with Aurofill. I've run out of top thread. Can I thread the needle with Guttermans and still use the prepared bobbins?
Thank you sage ladies  :ninja:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Syrinx

Re: Sorry, me again! Can you mix Batiks and Quilting Cotton
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 17:19:15 PM »
Yes you can mix them, I do it all of the time. You just need to remember that batik doesn't tend to have as much stretch as the normal cotton, I've never ever had a problem, but be aware!

Yes to the mix and match threads. I'm always using mis matched top and bottom threads, and you can even mix thread weights - heavy thread in the top - for added punch in applique or FMQ :)

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 17:24:54 PM »
You're a star Syrinx
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Syrinx

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 17:30:42 PM »
Why thank you!

The bargello in my profile pic is a mix of cottons and batiks :)

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 21:16:16 PM »
Of course you can mix them.  Most of my patchwork has a mix of batik and 'ordinary' cottons.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

maliw

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 21:22:26 PM »
I mix all the time if the colours/patterns are what I want to use. As for cottons I'm using two different threads at the moment and all is well, just check your tension so that neither thread shows on the opposite surface.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 08:06:57 AM »
Of course you can!
I do it all the time as anyone who has glanced at any of my quilts (or indeed read any of my posts) can tell you.

I was in The Emporia once, showing off some creation or the other, and a peeps came over with a horrified look on her face.... 'Is that batik?' she asked incredulously ... 'yup' I said, 'Why?' and she told me, in all seriousness, that she was told you couldn't mix cotton and batik in the same quilt ????

Why not????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

supergran

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 10:29:52 AM »
Why not indeed? My NYB was made with a mixture and it worked out fine. I've also read in some magazine articles etc that you shouldn't mix batiks and plains, but these days the "purists" have seen what the more modern designers make with all sorts of fabrics and they aren't so judgmental. The QP brigade is shrinking.  :)

Syrinx

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 10:45:21 AM »
The problem arises when your cotton has a lot more stretch so you have to be careful when matching your pieces up as you can inadvertently get more stretch in the cottons as the batiks don't have much. As long as you are aware it's fine.

You also may have to deal with uneven shrinkage when you wash it as batik fabrics will have been washed a few times already in the process to get to you on the bolt. So either live with possible uneven shrinkage, or prewash your cottons as well ;)