The Sewing Place

Twisted Spiral FPP Quilt - Follow thread

Iminei

Re: Twisted Spiral FPP Quilt - Follow thread
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 13:02:34 PM »
Have you ever checked out Oakshotts bundles ???
Glorious woven colour combinations in 54" wide lengths.....

https://www.oakshottfabrics.com/collections/fabric-packs-and-precuts

Their yardage is expensive, if you want the full range, but their charm packs are gloriously affordable at £8.00 which they sell alongside lots of free downloadable patterns.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 13:07:13 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ploshkin

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2017, 13:09:54 PM »
Syrinx, if duty is charged on a package from the US, how much is it?
Life's too short for ironing.

supergran

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2017, 14:48:20 PM »
I've just checked out Oakshott's, and although the colour range is glorious, and the fabric is wider than normal quilting cotton, I think their prices are eye watering. Even the charm packs at £8 only have 16 pieces in them and the yardage at £24 per metre is too much for me. I wouldn't dare cut it at that price.  :o

Syrinx

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2017, 20:09:09 PM »
Duty on fabric into the UK is just VAT of the package cost. Ofsen still cheaper than buying equivalent fabric in the UK. I often buy fabric you can't get in the UK yet (new moda lines or TT fabrics!). And you don't always have to pay duty. I didn't this time! It's about 50/50 I've found through experience whether I pay or not.

wrenkins

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2017, 20:17:01 PM »
That Oakshott website is the worst I've ever seen. It flicks and *icks about and I can only look at it for a few seconds. What were they thinking when they came up with the "sea-sick" vibe?  :[ Shame cos I like their stuff...well the bit I can focus on...  :S
Rant over...yes I have told them. :-(
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lowena

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2017, 10:27:00 AM »
Looking forward to trying out this lovely block Syrinx  :ninja:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Syrinx

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2017, 17:55:29 PM »
Bit of an update. Sorry it's been a while - life got in the way!

So first two trial blocks are underway - I couldn't decide on a central colour and have 2 possibles, so 2 practice blocks with different centres!

Spent quite a while whittling my 12 shades down to 8 in each colour and then spent a while working out generous maths for cutting the tiny pieces!

Have attached photos of fabric and will do block 1 and 2 when they are a bit more done!

It's a good job I have an add an eighth ruler as this is teeny tiny pieces!

Lowena

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2017, 18:38:40 PM »
Dear G** you've got a fabricshopsworth of fabric there Syrinx.... are you trying to bankrupt us ?  :o

Syrinx

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2017, 18:53:57 PM »
They're only FQs ;) and it's one of those seriously long time projects. I've almost finished the first block and I'd only just started when I posted!
I might not be finished for quite a while!

The design doesn't need to be beautifully matched fabrics - scrappy versions would be lovely - the colours make different aspects of the design stand out! And you don't need to do a big one!

Lowena

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2017, 18:56:49 PM »
Looks very complicated  -< .... and I only own 4 FQs so a shopping trip would be in order  ;) :D

Syrinx

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2017, 19:15:10 PM »
It's not really very complicated, it's just a vaguely tedious task. Sew a line, fold, trim, sew a line, fold, trim, sew a line. For all 33 pieces. Then voila! A block is born...

Pearl

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2017, 19:27:06 PM »
:loveit: :loveit: :loveit:

Syrinx

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2017, 19:41:36 PM »
Block 2 will have a blue central square. Once all made up I'll be interested to see which I prefer, I did have a crazy idea of doing QSTs in the middle with each colour but quickly squashed that awful idea ;) too busy.

I have a feeling the blue may look best, but I don't know. I'm also uncertain about whether I have the blue shades the right way round or whether to have them grading darker as they go out as well...

Iminei

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2017, 05:55:47 AM »
Right at the first set of pics I preferred the Purple to be the centre ... It will be interesting to see which is best.

It does like hideously teensy weensy Syrinx. Which size template are you using ???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Syrinx

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2017, 08:05:50 AM »
Finished size is..... 5"

It is teensy but it doesn't matter because it's fpp so it's a case of using a square and then it gets trimmed in the course of adding each new piece. Lots of usuable left overs for another block as well!

I'm more worried about my quilting plan! Some of the bits are very small. Not sure I can quilt individually!

I've only made a couple of mistakes and my stitch line hasn't been quite close enough to the points for shrpness but it was tricky as 3 lines end at each point so easy to misjudge!

I'll be doing blue central block today or tomorrow. I'll also be getting much better pictures using my actual camera!

I have a feeling the blue may look better. I may even end up doing half with blue and half with purple! But I hope I can choose one way or the other.