The Sewing Place

Fitting problem...

Efemera

Fitting problem...
« on: August 01, 2017, 11:01:30 AM »
I've made a shift A line dress... the fit seemed OK but when I'm wearing it the front rides up a little and the side seams aren't vertical.. they swing ever so slightly to the front. There's enough bust room width wise but it feels like there's not enough length....I should also have done a sway back alteration but solved that with putting an elastic gather about 5inches long at the back waist... is it s bust or shoulder problem.. any input welcome..

b15erk

Re: Fitting problem...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 11:55:15 AM »
Sorry, not much use on the fitting front, but could it be a tad tight on the hip?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 11:59:17 AM »
Sorry totally misread this.  :| 

I think you're right, maybe a little extra on the front bodice.  Because you have altered the back with elastic, perhaps it is now pulling on the front.

I'm sure someone will be along soon with the correct answer.  ;)

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 15:58:18 PM »
It's loose all over so nothing is pulling just the front is riding up...

Surest1tch

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 19:06:59 PM »
This may sound obvious and I don't mean to sound patronising, if I do I sincerely apologise and promise you it's definitely not meant that way.
2 questions,
1)Was it slightly off grain when you cut it out? Even slightly off can make a big difference.
and
2)Is the hem deep enough for the fabric? If the hem isn't heavy enough that can cause it to rise up.

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 19:59:00 PM »
All cut correctly and there's a 5cm faced hem....I really think it needs a FBA of some sort to add length but not width.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 20:11:57 PM »
Do you normally need an FBA?  What pattern is it?   If it's a pattern with a lot of ease and you usually need an FBA but felt there was enough width, I think that might be a problem.  With loose fit patterns there can be enough width but if you don't do the FBA then you won't get the length needed.  Try measuring from your shoulder over the bust to your waist and then do the same on the pattern.  That will give you the length you need and check whether that is the problem.
Nice solution to the sway back!  :)

Morgan

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 08:48:57 AM »
sounds like you may need to balance the pattern.

got to go out now so haven't time to explain - you should be able to pick up the information via an internet search
- balancing a pattern

Efemera

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 21:58:25 PM »
I've been pondering this again as the same thing is happening with a newly made top...I've just watched a video with the woman from Surefit and she adds to the back shoulder seam but then takes away the apsame amount from the front shoulder seam....surely this makes no difference...or is it about the balance thing again?

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 13:39:00 PM »
That just puts the shoulder seam where it should be and stope you pulling the garment around to get it in the right place.   If you've had to pull the garment shoulder seam into place that could be part of the problem.
For balancing patterns have a look at this site.  Sorry I don't have the link to the exact page at the moment. http://katrinakaycreations.com
But I would still say to measure the length of you and compare to the pattern piece first before looking for any complicated answers.  Perhaps you need an FBA.??

Efemera

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 16:07:08 PM »
Maybe they're bigger than I thought! :ninja:

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 21:51:15 PM »
Maybe they're bigger than I thought! :ninja:

:o :o :o 0_0 0_0 0_0 0_0 0_0

Catllar

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 17:13:40 PM »
Lucky girl!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !