The Sewing Place

Great tutorial for invisible zip finish

Happymrsg

Re: Great tutorial for invisible zip finish
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 22:31:11 PM »
Well I`m obviously not as clever as the rest of you as I`ve got the magazine and don`t understand the instructions at all! 

Sewingj - I think you should try it. I was very apprehensive when I was sewing it & not really sure what I was doing. I have done a lot of invisible zips & know I'm always disappointed with the finish at the top.
Trust me - it gives a great finish.

Holly Berry

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2017, 00:09:24 AM »
If you want something more visual here's a video I found https://youtu.be/8Zmwm0j89ho
Procrastination get behind me 

sewingj

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2017, 16:58:53 PM »
Thanks so much Holly - I like her videos but hadn`t spotted that one

Maximum

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2017, 11:41:54 AM »
Many thanks for the link, HB, those videos are very clear.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2017, 17:25:20 PM »
I don't think this is exactly the same method.  She doesn't trim the facing first and when she folds back the zip the facing is kept tucked inside.  This adds bulk which the other method doesn't. If you trim the facing as in the magazine but follow the video the facing won't fit!  Have a look at this page
http://fashion-incubator.com/centered_zipper_construction/
Scroll down till you see the facing sewn to the zipper edge.  This is for a centred zipper but the method is the same    Notice how the facing is offset because it is smaller.  When you fold the zipper back you make sure the facing matches the garment piece at the shoulder etc.  This involves pulling the facing OUT from the fold.  Works like a dream and no bulk.
If anyone is still confused I can probably send some piccies etc if you give me time.

Holly Berry

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2017, 14:57:17 PM »
I've just followed the YouTube video I posted, and I'm really pleased with the neat finish. Much neater than I've achieved before.
Procrastination get behind me