The Sewing Place

Sewing darts - where do you start?

Bogwoppit

Re: Sewing darts - where do you start?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2017, 23:39:59 PM »
For anyone curious about Alison Smith's method, I found a taster video of her craftsy course of couture dressmaking techniques and it's the sewing darts bit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdeEF-9U86U
[edited to sort out link that i could do on tablet last night]
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 11:18:00 AM by Bogwoppit »
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.

classical retro

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2017, 23:43:24 PM »
Good luck.
 CR :angel:

Bogwoppit

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2017, 12:35:00 PM »
Report back after 4 (and a bit) of the 8 darts sewn.
I tried Alison Smiths method as I'm not good at meeting the point accurately and don't want wonky boobs like on my last effort.  I like it!
Only tacked the lining bust darts using sewing machine on longest stitch so I could test for fit.  I need to back off the tip a bit when I sew them properly.  More sewing later as have cinema date with the kids this afternoon.

Lisa

UttaRetch

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2017, 13:23:29 PM »
I tried Alison Smiths method as I'm not good at meeting the point accurately and don't want wonky boobs like on my last effort.

I draw in dart lines and sew along them.  Much easier.  :D

SkoutSews

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2017, 22:56:47 PM »
Me too, UR!

Bogwoppit

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2017, 09:41:51 AM »
Tried that - not good at following lines! :S  need to practice.

DementedFairy

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2017, 11:58:18 AM »
I either pin right on the stitching line, or chalk on a line, then wide to short.  I usually take a stitch or two backwards to lock off, rarely bother to tie or stitch ends in.  Too lazy!  None have ever come undone...
C'est moi!

Bogwoppit

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2017, 21:43:26 PM »
Well my darts went the best they ever have and i started from the point.  I think this is now the way that suits me.
Apart from a button and loop (to be done sat in front of TV in a bit), I have a nice fitting shell top in purple Liberty glenjade with a white lining.  It feels lovely on. 

Going to wear it to my sons graduation tomorrow. He's 4 and its preschool.  I tend to think the trend for preschool graduation parties is a bit too American and contrived but seeing as it's a University preschool and where my husband graduated twice (degree and phd) I can forgive this one.

If i end up on a photo holding a balloon animal and too much cake I'll put a copy on here.

Manuela

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2017, 01:52:42 AM »
For anyone curious about Alison Smith's method, I found a taster video of her craftsy course of couture dressmaking techniques and it's the sewing darts bit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdeEF-9U86U
[edited to sort out link that i could do on tablet last night]

Out of curiosity I watched that video. Most of the time I wondered how she can get any sewing done with all that jewellery on her fingers and those nails   :devil:
I'm firmly in the 'mark dart with chalk and sew from the wide side' camp  :)

Catllar

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2017, 13:24:36 PM »
Being a lazy madame and not fond  of pins I work from the wide side and I pull an extra bit of cotton through the needle so it's longer than the finished dart. I hold it down at the point  using my nail and then machine along the side of the thread keeping it taught so I get a good straight line. Mostly though I'll make fitted, really fitted stuff and I do an S dart to really highlight the bust like this:
http://pintuckstyle.blogspot.fr/2010/09/sewing-vintage-s-curve-darts-flat.html I like these a lot.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !