The Sewing Place

Needing easy(ish) patterns for new wardrobes

Lyn-J

Needing easy(ish) patterns for new wardrobes
« on: August 02, 2017, 21:04:14 PM »
My life is twisting and turning faster than I can keep up.
I may be going on an unexpected short break (city) for a few days AND I maybe changing my job to something my office oriented.  I haven't got the clothes to cope  :S
Everything I have is either shabby or inappropriate (or both)
Any ideas?
Many thanks  :)

BrendaP

Re: Needing easy(ish) patterns for new wardrobes
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 22:01:51 PM »
Lots of unknowns there!  What sort of things do you need?  Are you planning on making lots or just a few things supplemented by a RTW shoping spree?

For quickness, if you've got an overlocker, jersey tops or dresses would be top of my list and if the neckline isn't too high you can do without a zip.  I have made McCalls 7352 without the zip.  Only very slightly stretchy and no problem at all getting it on and off.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lyn-J

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 22:41:13 PM »
Lots of unknowns there!  What sort of things do you need?  Are you planning on making lots or just a few things supplemented by a RTW shoping spree?
To be honest - I'm not to sure what I need. Something for every eventuality  -< maybe. A coat or jacket will be the most complicated. I'm not planning RTW - but I may have to.
Checking out the dress - agree that doesn't need a zip.

classical retro

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 23:39:01 PM »
How about easy patterns such as  Butterick Lifestyle
[https://butterick.mccall.com/collection/lifestyle-wardrobe?page=all
They have a number of coordinating pieces.
Here's a blog about one of them.
https://thesewingdivas.wordpress.com/2009/07/11/economy-sewing-butterick-5333-lifestyle-wardrobe/
I think Simplicity do something similar but I'm not as familiar with them.
I hope the links work, it's my first time.
CR  :angel:

Lyn-J

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 00:21:44 AM »
thanks CR
the Lifestyle patterns are a good idea. I'm having a look through them and reading the blog. Simplicity used to do "Go Everywhere" ?? but can't see anything like that now. Simplicity and Vogue have just bought out new patterns, so perusing  ;)

Forgot to mention I do have an overlocker (and a coverstitch) Brenda - I've got at least 5 knits - going to make some tops with these

SkoutSews

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 09:58:48 AM »
I'm a big fan of Ottobre www.ottobredesign.com.  5/2016 and 5/2017 have lots of basics.  I particularly like the Jacquard dress from 5/2016, easy to make, no zip and a very wearable dress.  Only drawback is the tracing of the patterns, but for me that's preferable to taping a silly number of pdf sheets together.
You can buy single issues if you don't want to subscribe.