The Sewing Place

Help! Stuck Screw :(

b15erk

Help! Stuck Screw :(
« on: August 03, 2017, 11:54:51 AM »
Well, the restoration of the 221k started - and stopped pretty quickly!  :S

I have a stuck screw on the throat plate - right under the tension assembly!  It's a really awkward position, and I've tried different screw drivers, and Plus Gas, but it's not moving.

Wondering if it may be easier to dismantle the Tension assembly, but very reluctant to do this.  Firstly, it may still not work, and second, it may mess a perfectly good tension up.

Any help out there?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

arrow

Re: Help! Stuck Screw :(
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 13:42:03 PM »
I would oil the screw right away. There are clever shaped screw drivers and there are similar stuff for bit sets. The tesion parts are a bit of a fuzz to get off and back on again, but not too much if you have done this before. I don't know where setting screw for the split screw/bolt thing holding it all is on the 221 but I'm sure there's a tutorial some where on the web.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 18:24:50 PM by arrow »

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 14:54:40 PM »
Done it Arrow!  What a job!  Copious amounts of PlusGas, left to soak between applications, et voila!  The screw just rolled out.....  exposing a million years of lint and gunk.

All clean now, and seems to be running well - fingers crossed.  Not tried sewing with it yet though!

I now need to find a diagram showing how to put the machine away safely in the case, having established that mine doesn't have the top tray which is shown in the manual.  When I got it, stuff was just crammed in anyhow. :(

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 15:05:04 PM »
The top tray doesn't stop the machine from moving about, it's just a handy bit of storage.

The cleat at the bottom of the case ensures that the machine stays to the right and the space abpve that cleat is just a void as it's not quite wide enough to take the foot pedal!  Maybe it's intended as a space for fabric :snip:

I think you are supposed to unplug the pedal and power plug and store them in the top tray, but I just roll the lead up and place them under the harp - maybe if I was taking the machine out somewhere, but not for indoors.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 15:07:19 PM »
There are clever shaped screw drivers

Arrow, your link is incomplete and so doesn't work but I think you mean something like this.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 16:27:50 PM »
Brenda, Helen Howes said that some later models don't have a tray, but a small compartment at the side - which mine has.  There is also a contraption in the lid which the footpedal slides into from right to left - that took a bit of working out!

I was just wondering how to arrange the wires and plugs really, as there is a wire arrangement on the inside, but I can't see how it would hold things tidy.  Atm I've got the footpedal fitted in the lid, but the wires are just, well, they are just there!

I'll figure it out at some point...

I may have a go at tidying the case tomorrow, some of the covering material is loose, apparently it's very easy, and you cover scuffs with a Sharpie, and buff the lot up with shoe polish!

Jessie

arrow

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 18:26:51 PM »
Arrow, your link is incomplete and so doesn't work but I think you mean something like this.

The one you link to looks nice. I tried to fix the link, and hopefully it works now.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 22:13:48 PM »
It's working now.

arrow

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 22:45:42 PM »
I think it must have been a type of copying and pasting error Brenda.

I'm curious about PlusGas, is it something fancy I might need? I've had various spray can stuff over the years and many of them come off as much the same stuff.