The Sewing Place

B****y eBay

Efemera

B****y eBay
« on: August 04, 2017, 17:37:57 PM »
Ordered this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Stretch-Microfiber-Lycra-Jersey-African-Print-Dress-Crafts-Fabric-FREE-P-P-/222494106984?var=&hash=item79625d0816
This has no stretch at all..it's never seen so much as a whiff of Lycra!..it's nasty nylon like stuff

And this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Stretch-Poly-Viscose-Ribbed-Jersey-Full-Floral-Dress-Craft-Fabric-FREE-P-P-/322551455911?hash=item4b1990a0a7

Yuk... think nylon sheets!... they're both going back
I'm not having much luck with eBay this week!

UttaRetch

Re: B****y eBay
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 19:28:18 PM »
What a shame as they are both lovely patterns, but you are covered by the 'not as described' clause.

maliw

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 19:55:56 PM »
That is really sad - I like both the fabrics. It's not just ebay though, several months ago I was at Abakhan, I looked at a fabric and thought "that's nice, what is it?". When I looked, the label said that it contained lycra but the fabric had no stretch whatsoever, I even asked one of the assistants who looked at the label too, she said "well it says that it contains lycra so it must do". Never, no I didn't buy any even though I liked the pattern.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 20:30:44 PM »
It's going back...

Vegegrow

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 20:58:13 PM »
I can ask ebay to intervene tomorrow on the return of my blue fabric that is Ivory .. I'll be pleased to get it sorted. can't blame ebay but do blame the seller
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 21:19:04 PM »
It's not just ebay though, several months ago I was at Abakhan, I looked at a fabric and thought "that's nice, what is it?". When I looked, the label said that it contained lycra but the fabric had no stretch whatsoever, I even asked one of the assistants who looked at the label too, she said "well it says that it contains lycra so it must do".

:S That is shocking ignorance on the part of the assistant, but people don't seem to know much what they are selling these days and could just as well sell cheese or watches. 

Zigzag

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 21:39:15 PM »
Yes, I also can see that these fabrics look lovely.  Hope you get a full refund asap.  Devestating experience...

Tamnymore

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 21:45:55 PM »
So far, I've found Abakhan reasonably good with labelling although a number of their cheap rolls are just labelled mixed fibres. The remnant bins have minimal labelling but you have a fairly good idea of what you are getting as you are there in person, of course. The staff in the Manchester branch are always very helpful and most seem experienced. I would expect them to treat a mislabelled item with suspicion but I guess the staff in the branches vary.

It's one thing to say you don't know the fibre content of a fabric and quite another to label the contents wrongly.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 10:52:54 AM »
but you are covered by the 'not as described' clause.

The first one says  "Material:  Poly Viscose Stretch Jersey" and you could argue that all jersey has some stretch, so it might just be as described, although usually "stretch" implies a bit of elastane.

The second one is described as "    Material:    Lycra/Elastane"
Lycra is a brand name for elastane fibre but no-one manufactures 100% elastane fabric.  20-25% elastane is about the maximum and it's usually somewhat less.  So the question is what is the majority fibre?  That's not disclosed in the description.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 13:15:28 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Efemera

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 11:54:25 AM »
I have to say customer service is excellent .. git a full refund last night .. had to pay postage back but glad to have refund . The first fabric said stretch but it had zero stretch...

arrow

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 12:12:37 PM »
Lycra, Elastane, Spandex and what ever it's goes under should be easily identified? When we pull at the treads on the cutting end some of them should be more like rubber The rubbery part can be coverd in a sort of fine weave or thread again. Firm jersey is just right for some projects, and very stretchy for others, and it isn't in sellers interest to present it as something it's not. It it some kind of error or wrong thinking on the seller part.

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 22:42:53 PM »
The first one says  "Material:  Poly Viscose Stretch Jersey" and you could argue that all jersey has some stretch, so it might just be as described, although usually "stretch" implies a bit of elastane.

The second one is described as "    Material:    Lycra/Elastane"
Lycra is a brand name for elastane fibre but no-one manufactures 100% elastane fabric.  20-25% elastane is about the maximum and it's usually somewhat less.  So the question is what is the majority fibre?  That's not disclosed in the description.

Yes, but if the fabric does not stretch then surely it's not as described.

Efemera

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 09:27:53 AM »
I don't think some traders have a clue to what the fabric consists of.... they just stick any old description on it...that's the problem of online shopping....if I could have seen and touched it I would have known it wasn't as described. I bought some white cotton Lycra from an eBay seller... it's wasn't cotton, I complained but he just said it was....

DaisyChain

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 08:31:50 AM »
Efemera I’m very surprised you had to pay for return postage as the description in your first link falsely states, ( in large red font),
This a Lightweight stretch fabric which has a One way stretch
If the seller hadn’t made this mistake then you would never have bought the fabric. Postage isn’t cheap & you’re out of pocket!

I’m afraid, I’m very cynical when it comes to ebay. Yes, I’m sure there are some fantastic sellers, (& buyers), out there but I’m always wary about using it.

The first thing I always do if I want to buy something is check the seller’s feedback and read any negative comments. (Not always a guarantee that things will go well but it’s something).

The next thing I do if it’s an auction is look at the bids. This can be very interesting especially when a bidder with only one or two feedbacks keeps pushing the bid up. Of course I’m not for one second suggesting this is a shill, it could all be totally genuine but it always makes me reluctant to participate.

And then there are buyers. Can anyone remember a thread on the sewing forum about someone who sold her sewing machine and the buyer claimed it was broken when it arrived?

UttaRetch

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 08:40:55 AM »
Most vendors specifiy that buyers have to pay the cost of returns BUT as the fabric is 'not as described', there may be a case to argue.  I would take it up with PayPal.

I remember that thread on the Sewing forum and I think it was Mamashep who was having the problem.