The Sewing Place

Lusting after a dress, help me find a pattern that somewhat resembles it

Manuela

Ever since I saw Rosamund Pike in that Antonio Berardi dress I pondered about how to approach the pattern.
I intend to make it in eyelet cotton, but just can't get my head around the pattern bit.
It does look like a mullet dress, that is draped/ruched up at the side seam.

Any input on either a pattern to startwith or modifying an existing basic pattern is more than welcome.

Here a picture from the show, I like Rosamund Pike's version a lot more....

elephun

Hey Manuela!

I found that dress online, zoomed in on it and drew lines where I could see seams and some hems. It looks to me like the dress is sort of a lantern shape with a gorgeous scalloped hem, and I think that the bodice bottom is scalloped, too. This leaves those lovely diamonds in the gold brocade dress, and the extra lacy bits in the pink eyelet version.

Just in case the picture goes away, here's the link:
http://pin.it/CftWNfw

I think I can see the shape of the bodice portion pretty well in the pink eyelet version. I bet that there is a Vogue or something with that shape. If I can get that shape in my mind, I might be able to figure out how the bottom layer/lantern layer/side gather thing might look as a pattern piece.

Does this help?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 04:31:51 AM by elephun »

elephun

V8968 has some elements that might be handy to keep in mind, especially if you end up using a border of lace or eyelet. At any rate, this is the dress I was thinking of. You can draft your own, but it gives something to talk about.

elephun

Lekala 4603 is a different, but probably better starting point.  0_0

Manuela

Thank you elephun, food for thought indeed. I'm still wrecking my brain about the mullet and ruching detail....

b15erk

It looks like a top and skirt to me. I can certainly see the border draping down from  centre front.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

UttaRetch

What about

as a jumping off point?

Efemera

It's definitely two pieces of border fabric, the bottom piece is rouched  at the sides to keep the border ....if it wasn't then it would hang down at the sides....or to keep the hem sort of level the border would have to be chopped off
Cutting two ( right minus the bottom seam )backs of the Marcy pattern might work

Tamnymore

I've done several versions of that Marcy T dress and I love it. It seems to be pretty popular as I've seen lots of others on t'internet. Think you would have to 'exaggerate' the bottom of it in some way but eminently doable I think.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Greybird

I have just cut out this one:

http://www.sewdirect.com/acatalog/Vogue-V1550.html

which you might be able to adapt. The the short tunic and the long one are on the same pattern piece.

Manuela

Re: Lusting after a dress, help me find a pattern that somewhat resembles it
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 14:09:08 PM »
Thank you all for the input and suggestions, please keep them coming  :)

Utta & Tamnymore I have the Marcy Tilton pattern, but it's not really adaptable to replicate the shape due to the circle bits and curved seams.

Jessie, it's most definitely a dress, there is a seam of sorts at the front, maybe even an overlapping one.

Efemera, that's what I think too.

At the moment my thought process is:
- use my semi-fitted TNT pattern
- slash and pivot the bust darts to create circumference at the bottom for ruching up the side seam
- slash and open the back to match the front shape

That leaves two issues open:
- figure out the seam line at the front - curved or straight?/how to deal with a straight border embroidery to create a soft curve/line
- figuring out the mullet hem

I suspect that the original dress features a border embroidery the is shaped, and ,of course, made to suit the seam lines. What I can use will have straight border embroidery, so I might have to compensate for that with gathering/shaping darts or seams.... hmm...

Any ideas and suggestions are more than welcome  :)

Manuela

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 15:01:40 PM »
I have just cut out this one:

http://www.sewdirect.com/acatalog/Vogue-V1550.html

which you might be able to adapt. The the short tunic and the long one are on the same pattern piece.

Oooooooh, there is definitely potential. I have this pattern, need to investigate the hemline  :)

jen

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 16:05:23 PM »
I know you will make a beautiful dress Manuela and can't wait to see how it goes. My thoughts were tent dress shape, a seamline drawn in a sort of oval loop higher at the front than the back, and shaped to accommodate whatever border eyelet fabric you land on, then a 'skirt' bit added to this, shaped in, possibly with extra seams, also shaped to the fabric, with ruching put in where the hemline needs extra lift. It's the kind of dress I'd like to see close up to get the low down on its construction. It would probably be easier to construct a toile on a dress stand than try to flat draft the whole thing.

elephun

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 17:59:50 PM »
V8968 has some elements that might be handy to keep in mind, especially if you end up using a border of lace or eyelet. At any rate, this is the dress I was thinking of. You can draft your own, but it gives something to talk about.

Just a thought
If you were to attach the eyelet as a border, sort of like the pattern above, you have flexibility to manipulate your eyelet before applying it to your pristine skirt fabric.
I know whatever you come up with will be fantastic!

fajita