The Sewing Place

Lusting after a dress, help me find a pattern that somewhat resembles it

wrenkins

Re: Lusting after a dress, help me find a pattern that somewhat resembles it
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2017, 21:05:35 PM »
I'll have it in every colour please.  :[
I love the thought processes of this. It's fascinating hearing/reading you all. Can't wait to see what you come up with Manuela.  :frock:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

jen

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2017, 21:41:31 PM »
OK now I've seen Fajita's link I'm thinking of two skirts based on part circle, the bottom one sort of upside down. Obviously as the 'hem' edge of the top one is hi-lo asymmetric etc that's an oversimplification.

UttaRetch

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2017, 22:02:44 PM »
@Fajita: that's defeatist talk, missus.  ;) I do like fabric combination, though.

elephun

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2017, 22:05:48 PM »
The dress Fajita linked is gorgeous, but's not quite the same. See how Fajita's is a fitted knit on top, and doesn't have the lower hem in the back? There's still a ton to be learned from it.

I think this skirt by the same designer might be useful in sussing out the shape that Manuela's looking for as it's longer in the back, and then applying that to a trapeze dress base:

The gold version that Manuela originally posted looks much more lantern shaped than the pink version she posted. I wonder if that is 100% due to the drape of the fabric, or if the dress is actually a bit different?

I'm thinking about making scalloped edge out of straight eyelet.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 22:12:16 PM by elephun »

elephun

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2017, 22:23:29 PM »
Here's what I think of as a trapeze when I say "trapeze". I think a trapeze like this could make a nice base for this dress. It's a merchant&mills pattern that I do not like, but knowing you would draft your own, I feel okay posting it as inspiration.

UttaRetch

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2017, 22:45:34 PM »
Merciful gods, those shoes are ugly.  0_0

The shape of the reference dress has a name but damn it, I can't remember what.  It will probably come to me in the early hours, but I ain't getting up to log in again.  :D

elephun

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2017, 22:50:41 PM »
Merciful gods, those shoes are ugly.  0_0

The shape of the reference dress has a name but damn it, I can't remember what.  It will probably come to me in the early hours, but I ain't getting up to log in again.  :D

HAHA!!
UR- You gave me a wonderful laugh!

The dress is called The Trapeze

UttaRetch

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2017, 22:53:36 PM »
I have actually seen some great makes of this dress and even considered it myself as I like the full shape, which should accommodate my big arse.  0_0

elephun

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2017, 23:42:23 PM »
It's really hard to find such a pared down pattern. I wouldn't like to try to find another one by a different patter maker. I think people have done nice things with the pattern. If you do make it, be sure to make a muslin/toile, though.

I had bought most if not all, of M&M's original patterns on card. Of those original patterns, I like the Shirt Dress and the Top 64 very much. The Trapeze Dress was not up to par in comparison, IMO. It wasn't a bad pattern; I just didn't think it was a good pattern. Had I tried the Trapeze as a tissue pattern later, when that was possible, rather than card pattern, it would have been less expensive, and I may have been less annoyed.

They seem to have discontinued all of the other original patterns that I bought besides Trapeze, Top 64, and Shirt Dress.

Manuela

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2017, 00:14:38 AM »
Thank you Elephun for finding the actual dress.
https://www.farfetch.com/shopping/women/antonio-berardi-jacquard-asymmetric-dress-item-11831408.aspx?storeid=9941&from=1

I think the difference in appearance between the dress on Farfetch and the pink dress is the material. The pink fabric has much more drape, I prefer that to the brocade. I have some beautiful teal coloured eyelet fabric, hmmmm

I'm ogelling at all the detail pictures to see how I can achieve a similar effect. And yes, I'd call it a trapez shape rather than tent, I'd prefer it fitted up the bust area, and then draping down.
Great sleuthing here, keep up the good work  :)

Enlarging the picture of the back shows a horizontal seam there, just below the zipper...

« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 00:23:52 AM by Manuela »

elephun

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2017, 01:17:34 AM »
Okay, the pink one looks like it has droopier sides than the gold version. The sides would be gathered up in one point right at each side and stitched and twisted into place. Then, I think there might be a stay sewn between the gathered point on the left of the dress and the gathered point on the right of the dress that holds things in just so. The stay would just be a ribbon and would go behind Rosamunds knees and not interfere in any way when she walked or sat.

Careful handstitches would keep the ruching in place.

I can feel a migraine coming, so this idea might be brilliant or it might be very, very bad. You're a great judge of possibly silly ideas, Manuela!

:flower:  :cake: :toast:

PollyWally

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2017, 01:45:25 AM »
The top of the dress reminds me of a Vogue pattern I made a long time ago.

http://vintagepatterns.wikia.com/wiki/Vogue_2976

elephun

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2017, 03:41:25 AM »
Here is a Susan Khalje Threads article all about scallops, planning them to cutting them to facing them and sewing an pressing them.

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/4984/the-scalloped-hem/page/all

---------------------------

I'm wondering if your eyelet trim might have a regular curved design near the edge that you might be able to take advantage of? You could cut along and add your own satin stitch at the border to finish it off?

Manuela

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2017, 04:26:18 AM »
Elephun, thanks for the link to the Threads article, I didn't think about doing that. Certainly a possibility to be explored when it comes to the front seam.
At the hem I'd rather let the scallop edge of the fabric shine, this is what I got.

For the ruching on the side, I am thinking about turning the side seams into casings, insert a ribbon made from the fashion fabric, pull the side seam up according to how frivolous I am on the day, and tie it.  :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 08:09:23 AM by Manuela »