The Sewing Place

Threads Magazine

Elnnina

Threads Magazine
« on: March 04, 2017, 16:53:15 PM »

I was given a whole pile of Threads Magazines a few years ago, and have continued buying them since.  I was looking for something so I went through all the ones I have, and have made myself an index of the articles I particularly liked.  Every now and then there is a reference to an article in an issue  earlier back than I have  and I was wondering how I could get these.

A brain storming moment, Threads produce a DVD  Magazine Archive and this goes right back to the very first issue.  Oh what a treasure trove.  The DVD loads onto your computer, and once done you can go looking at any Threads issue that you wish, you can even print out the article concerned so very useful when you are trying to follow someone’s instructions on how to do something.

Over the years there have been many different contributors to Threads Magazine, so there are interesting and very useful articles by people such as Sarah Veblen, Katherine Cheetham, Karen Howland, Louise Cutting to name but a few, and these articles often cover all sorts of fitting issues, especially for those of us who are not normal sized people.

I bought my copy of this magazine archive via Amazon UK, it arrived within a couple of days and well worth the money.  When you think the magazine itself over here is something like £5. To have access to something like 182 issues for around £53 - £75  is well worth the expense,  so using the higher figure that makes each magazine on the DVD at less than 50p.  The issue I chose to buy covers 1985 – 2015, but there are others and of course some are available on Amazon’s Market Place even cheaper.  I do not know how often they produce a DVD, perhaps there is another more up to date issue in the pipeline.

I am at the moment looking at an article by Karen Howland on using Your Sloper as a Fitting Tool – use a fitted basic shell to simplify altering commercial patterns – this article is over two magazines several months apart.    Another one I am interested in following is by Kathleen Cheetham and is From Sloper to Shirt so she is showing you how to turn your basic fitting pattern into a blouse design – again this is over two magazines.

Oh these wonderful magazines cover things like altering a pattern for a rounded back, for larger than normal hips, FBA’s, fitting princess seams, draping, a better collar - you name it you will find something.

Of course having the DVD takes up much less room than several years of paper magazines – I am already running out of room to house any more magazines but Threads I will continue to buy.

Maximum

Re: Threads Magazine
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 17:46:49 PM »
Thank you for that interesting review of Threads archive DVD, it's always better to have a review from a user rather than just reading the marketing hype. I'm off to do some research  :)

Tamnymore

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 22:16:20 PM »
Thanks. Very interesting review. I've always liked Threads. Well worth thinking about the archive.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Catllar

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 22:30:51 PM »
That's interesting. Must have a look at that.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 22:33:43 PM by Catllar »
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Elnnina

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 12:51:55 PM »
I have just spent some more time looking at this Archive DVD, and am amazed.  There really is so much packed into these magazines, and I discovered the 'search' facility, I believe when I typed in 'fitting' up popped 444 articles on the subject so it is easy to go through and have a look, and also you can narrow the search down to a group of years which is useful.

Whatever I typed into the 'search'  something came up, from knitting, weaving, lace, cushions, sheets, quilting, patchwork, scissors, rotary cutters - something was there.  It doesn't matter whether you are a novice at sewing, often the articles take you step by step through the process - and of course there is plenty for the more advanced needlewoman.

Obviously contributors have come and gone over the years, this DVD will certainly keep me occupied for a very long time, so lots of new techniques to try out, and of course some of the vintage garment techniques used there is an article showing how this was achieved.

I was slightly concerned at the overall cost of buying this DVD, however I happen to go to hydrotherapy most weeks, and last September I caught this horrible cough, and this went on for weeks and weeks, and as I am often in the pool alone I had to stop going for safety reasons.  Well the weeks went by and I was still coughing away up to and into January, so I saved the money from  not going to hydrotherapy and bought the Threads Archive DVD - so quite painless really.

As well as the 'Search' facility there is also a 'Bookmark' so you can store in this anything you find particularly interesting thus saving you having to hunt for an elusive article all over again.

I still haven't gone through everything yet, so I know I am in for a lot more lovely surprises.

stitchingcarol

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 16:39:47 PM »
I subscribe to Threads insider as well as the magazine , which I can view online if I need too.  It is mainly dressmaking and tailoring techniques which I find fascinating to read about even if I never use them.

Sewingsue

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 17:09:15 PM »
I bought the archive a couple of years ago, but it has been sitting waiting for me to actually do something with it (where is that embarrassed smilie when you need it) Just loaded it on to my PC - so thank you for reminding me and explaining why it is so useful.
Mind you since my puter is upstairs and my sewing room is downstairs I will probably get plenty of exercise  :)
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Snippet

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 19:04:24 PM »
This sounds really useful - thanks for letting us know about it.

I follow Threads Mag on twitter and the tutorials are excellent, I had no idea they were all on a DVD as well.

UttaRetch

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 20:29:03 PM »
It sounds as if the dvd archive is quite a valuable resource.  I remember the topic started on TSF about the dumming down of the magazine.

Sewingsue

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 20:34:46 PM »
One irritating thing about the archive is that they don't do top-up dvds so if you bought one a few years ago you have to buy the whole thing again to add on two/three years.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Catllar

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 17:48:02 PM »
I've just cancelled my Thread sub. If you have one be aware that suddenly there seems to be a tacit re-sub at the end of your current sub. I took out a 3 year and decided I wouldn't renew as  apart from the gorgeous vintage stuff I was finding it boring  and not relevant to me and my sewing. I've been receiving demands/ requests for payment and I know I don't owe anything, so I emailed them and they were instant in replying and dealing with the issue.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !