The Sewing Place

Bridesmaids Dresses

charlotte

Bridesmaids Dresses
« on: August 05, 2017, 13:51:32 PM »
So I think I have foolishly very kindly volunteered to make all three of my friend's bridesmaids dresses!!

Fabric is an embroidered tulle over a cotton lawn so shouldn't cause too many issues. (She says confidently :S) Fairly standard fitted bodice and pleated skirt. The only slightly complicated bit is that the neckline and sleeves are will be just the tulle layer so need to work that out, and also think about building in some support as we all agreed we are not fans of strapless bras. Wedding not until April, so technically plenty of time, although I do have an awful lot of projects which need to be finished by October...

I have said I will start by making my own, plus toiles for the other two girls and if it turns out time is getting tight by then we can outsource actual making up of those two using mine and the toiles for reference.

BrendaP

Re: Bridesmaids Dresses
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 18:45:36 PM »
Sounds to be a wonderful project.   

What pattern are you using?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

fajita

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 19:14:38 PM »
Oh you are more brave than me.
Have fun, bet they'll be so lovely.

Sandra

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 20:30:21 PM »
Good luck, Charlotte.

I get asked occasionally if I'll make bridesmaids dresses but I know I'll be out of my depth, so it's always a 'No', from me.

Sandra.
xxx

Catllar

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 23:23:59 PM »
Lovely projects!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 09:09:08 AM »
Coooo. You've a heart like a lion.  :woof: (closest we have).
The only problems I can foresee are not due to your capabilites but from everybody putting in their tuppence ha'penny!
STAND FIRM!!!!  And the very best of luck.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

justpottering

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 11:48:31 AM »
I love making bridesmaid dresses such a satisfying garment to make and sooooo much better than the rubbish people seem to buy online today (or is it just the people I know?)
The problems come when one or more bridesmaid decides to diet after all measurements are taken, toiles done  and the dresses made!
Make sure your bridesmaids don't do that I'm all for people losing weight if they want to feel better about themselves but people don't realise how much work is involved in the phrase 'can't you just take it in a bit here, here, and here'  :S

Hope we get to see pics  :)
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

Sandra

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 15:53:50 PM »
Justpottering....That's my fear, regarding making dresses for dieting bridesmaids.

The other problem is pregnant ones.
I seem to get lots of alterations on dresses for either pregnant bridesmaids, or ones who have recently given birth.

Sandra.
xxx

charlotte

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 12:51:17 PM »
Ooh lots of responses. Yes I am much happier making them myself than having them made cheaply!

Very unlikely that any of us will be getting pregnant so should be okay on that front! Weight-wise my friend and I are not losing weight sort of people(!) so we should be fine. Bride's sister from what I can gather has no plans to lose weight but bride thinks she should :S so that could be interesting. Might have to distract the bride for her fitting so she can tell me honestly!!

There will definitely be pictures.

Currently trying to decide on what fabric to use for the lining. Leaning towards cotton lawn (same as the underlay) but wondering whether that will not do enough to prevent creasing.

Missie

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 14:47:18 PM »
The problems come when one or more bridesmaid decides to diet after all measurements are taken, toiles done  and the dresses made!

Yep, my sister-in-law's sister did that.  I'd made all boned bodices, toile was fitted and then when it came to final fit, she'd lost quite a lot of weight.  Re did the bodice and she was under instructions not to lose any more and she promised not to......but she did.  I was devastated as it looked like (to me at least) that hers hadn't been fitted properly.

charlotte

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 17:29:46 PM »
Dresses will be like this, except with a red underlay and a skirt that is pleated rather than gathered. And a plain waistband (red with non-embroidered tulle on top) rather than a sash/belt/ribbon thing.

Vegegrow

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 20:08:49 PM »
Oh I've got that fabric for DD in the black tulle and white tulle versions.. I got it out to examine it when it arrived and I think I thought it was  wider/ deeper than the description on Ali Express .. It has gone into the stash but I can check if you like?

just to add I think its quite soft so you might want a net under it if your using lawn
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 20:10:30 PM by Vegegrow »
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Surest1tch

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 20:19:13 PM »
That is just gorgeous, I don't envy you the task though.

charlotte

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 20:48:38 PM »
Thanks vegegrow. Yeah I had two yards of it already so I have seen/felt it. I'm planning to mount it onto underlined lawn/net for the sheer part, rather than having separate layers for that exact reason. Hoping that at least the softness will mean the sleeves will ease in like a dream but that's probably wishful thinking. That said, I've gone to a different eBay seller as the first one had sold out so hoping it's the same!

UttaRetch

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 21:36:50 PM »
Your reference dress is very pretty.  Do you have a pattern in mind?