The Sewing Place

Bridesmaids Dresses

charlotte

Re: Bridesmaids Dresses
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 11:43:06 AM »
I have New Look 6508 but I think the sleeves start too high up on the shoulders, so any suggestions of something better or advice on how to alter this would be very very welcome.

Neckline also needs changing and I need to add a waistband as well but I'm happy with those bits.

Also, there is absolutely no way the skirt is happening as pictured with the back zip running down the centre back pleat. I'm thinking three pleats (front and back) instead of four so the zip is nicely tucked between two.

So in summary: yes, I do have a pattern, but not one that doesn't need lots of stylistic changes!!

wrenkins

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 09:13:45 AM »
Charlotte there's an article on the "tutorials" board about fitting sleeves which looks quite good. Obviously you're much further advanced than I in these matters but it might have a wee tip that would help you.  :)
W.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

charlotte

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2017, 22:38:26 PM »
Right. My bodice is done apart from the sleeves and the back button/loop :D

Have pretty much everything cut out too so I'm pretty pleased considering I only started on Sunday evening.

Just waiting on some silk satin, which I have decided is necessary for the waistbands.

Acorn

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2017, 22:44:44 PM »
That's beautiful.   0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Catllar

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2017, 23:30:38 PM »
Gonna be gorgeous!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

b15erk

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2017, 09:16:45 AM »
Beautiful Charlotte!  Look forward to seeing your progress.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2017, 08:52:02 AM »
That's gorgeous, love the red hemming/edging too.

charlotte

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2017, 09:26:47 AM »
Had a minor setback last night... put one sleeve in, tried it on and realised that the net I had used to support the sheer yoke was really scratchy at the finished edge, and left a big red mark across my collarbone. I briefly considered starting again but instead I painstakingly cut out all the scratchy net and then redid the edging 1/4" below. This was easier said than done as I had to go at snail's pace to stop the machine eating the tulle as I was so close to the edge, and I had to keep stopping and starting when this did happen. Plus my bobbin thread ran out somewhere around centre front. Gr!! It looks okay I think but I can see all the lumpy bits.  :\

Catllar

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2017, 21:46:56 PM »
Oh I so agree - hate scratchy edges - can't even stand labels in clothes - they have to come out.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

b15erk

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2017, 22:12:30 PM »
I thought it was just me.....

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

elephun

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2017, 23:21:09 PM »
Charlotte- the dress is beautiful so far!

Missie

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2017, 13:02:34 PM »
I thought it was just me.....
Jessie

No, can't tell you the number of labels I have had to take out of DDs clothes  :o

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2017, 13:25:38 PM »
Made me chuckle when I discovered a "Hand made with a Vogue pattern" label in my dress pattern - no chance of me adding a scratchy label to anything!!

charlotte

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2017, 10:03:17 AM »
Best I can do with my limited photography skills:

Acorn

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2017, 10:37:51 AM »
That is really beautiful.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.