The Sewing Place

Bridesmaids Dresses

Vegegrow

Re: Bridesmaids Dresses
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2017, 11:26:33 AM »
they are looking fab Charlotte
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Tamnymore

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2017, 12:14:45 PM »
A seriously lovely dress. I've seen that embroidered fabric on ebay and DF has a dress from.it on her blog. Looks great.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ploshkin

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2017, 12:38:48 PM »
That is so unusual and looks stunning.  Beautifully made too.
Life's too short for ironing.

charlotte

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2017, 13:07:18 PM »
Thanks for all the compliments!  :)
One down, two to go. The other two are getting tack fittings, so a bit more effort but I've got plenty of time as the wedding's not until April.

Just checked out DF's dress and it looks amazing! I might have to get some of the black for myself!

Missie

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2017, 08:46:30 AM »
Beautiful!

Sewbee

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2017, 20:17:11 PM »
Right. My bodice is done apart from the sleeves and the back button/loop :D

Have pretty much everything cut out too so I'm pretty pleased considering I only started on Sunday evening.

Just waiting on some silk satin, which I have decided is necessary for the waistbands.

This is really lovely! Did you embroider the flowers?

charlotte

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2017, 11:11:50 AM »
This is really lovely! Did you embroider the flowers?

Hahaha no way! The fabric comes ready-embroidered. I don't think I could even manage one hand-embroidered dress, nevermind three!!

Catllar

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2017, 17:44:56 PM »
How do you plan to finish the edges?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

charlotte

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2017, 15:42:45 PM »
How do you plan to finish the edges?

The neck and hem? They are finished. :|

It's a couched edge with an embroidery thread sewn over with a machine zigzag. They look good in real life as they reflect the embroidery on the fabric. Maybe not so great in the photos!

Catllar

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2017, 19:52:23 PM »
My fault, my dear, my eyes are crap at the mo - full of hay fever and blur - I thought they were just thread marked. That's a good solution - very delicate. May just have to borrow it.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

charlotte

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2018, 14:02:51 PM »
Hellooooooo!

It's been aaaaaaaages since I posted.

My dress is finished, will try to get some photos of it on soon when I can find someone to take them.

Final fitting with both other girls tonight. Fairly confident about one, but bride's sister I have only seen once and the toile I got on her (from the measurements she gave me!) was waaaay to small. Argh! I have a tacked together dress to put her in, but I think there will be lots of changes. After this I won't be able to get the dress on her until the day of so I'm feeling the pressure!  :\

b15erk

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2018, 14:10:02 PM »
Charlotte!  I was thinking about you just the other day, and wondering how you were getting on with your lovely dresses!

Fingers crossed for you for the fitting.  It's hard when you haven't got a body to work with!  :S

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2018, 17:19:19 PM »
@charlotte: I would be spitting feathers at those incorrect measurements.  I can't believe that someone doesn't know how to use a tape measure. :angry:

DementedFairy

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2018, 18:50:03 PM »
@charlotte: I can't believe that someone doesn't know how to use a tape measure. :angry:
Oh I can.  I really can.  I'm a maths lecturer, and I have learned NEVER to assume kids can use a ruler to measure  aline on a piece of paper, let alone wrap a tape round a lumpy bumpy normal body.  And if they had the tape the wrong way round [ie measuring from the wrong end] the numbers would not register as being incorrect.  I've just marked a couple of hundred foundation maths papers, and only about 25% could estimate the height of a man and the height of a tree from a little scale drawing.  Quite a few had height estimates of well over 100m for the man...
C'est moi!

Acorn

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2018, 19:13:35 PM »
She may also have taken a few inches off her measurements because she wanted to pretend she was thinner.  Or given the supposed measurements for her RTW size rather than measuring at all.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.