The Sewing Place

Packaging tape on attachment boxes

Roger

Packaging tape on attachment boxes
« on: August 08, 2017, 07:09:51 AM »
I've purchased quite a few parts of eBay and encountered this quite a bit...

Packaging tape on attachment boxes/kits. In the description the box is beautiful clean, and usual as found when it arrives has packing tape on it to keep it shut.
On plain plastic boxes they're covered in sticky residue, on boxes with a printed design it tears the design.

And for me the box is part of the charm.

Bah this one has got me all out of sorts, so I'm hoping some eBay sellers will spot this and stop, an elastic band, or layer of paper around the box (inside a padded will do the trick...

A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Iminei

Re: Packaging tape on attachment boxes
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 07:30:15 AM »
May I suggest when you purchase the item, ie send the payment you ask the seller, either through the PP 'add a message' link or by emailing the seller after winning the item, that they refrain from using sellotape and use a rubber band or paper sleeve etc ???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Roger

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 08:55:07 AM »
That's a really good idea! After all relying on common sense is getting me no where on this one!  :D
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Surest1tch

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 14:43:09 PM »
I know what you're saying but if you heat the tape with a hairdryer before you try to open it, it melts the glue and it peels off easily.

Roger

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 16:26:38 PM »
Wish I'd known that:) poor little box...

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 16:59:51 PM »
Black marker pen ???

A lil judicious dabbing can work wonders!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

SkoutSews

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 20:49:35 PM »
Homebase sell an aerosol of something called 'Sticky Stuff Remover' which, ahem, does what it says on the tin. Before I got a can of that stuff, I tried nail polish remover and Brasso on sticky remnants, with varying levels of success.
Try a little on an inconspicuous area first, just in case it melts the plastic.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 21:43:16 PM »
What Roger is concerned with is not about getting the black off the packaging; it's about the black not coming off the box in the first place.

Once the damage is done I think Iminie's suggestion of using a felt tip pen is about all that can be done. :'(
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Barnyard

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 20:49:57 PM »
Mr Sheen does a good job of removing sticky residue and is kinder to the ink too. It does take a while for it to work and it may need a few applications but it does work. I have been using this trick for years where people use packing tape on wooden items like antique cabinets when the key has been lost. Drives you barmy just wondering what some people think (or don't) when it comes to doing this type of thing!

Barny

Roger

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 23:05:29 PM »
Thanks for all the tips! I'll definitely bear them in mind next time I forget to ask a seller not to use tape on the box :)

I was mostly just sad that common sense wasn't occurring with sellers and packing tape...

Ill probably leave the box as is, as its a slightly raised textured finish, and the blue is quite distinctive.