The Sewing Place

Done.

rubywishes

Done.
« on: August 08, 2017, 09:07:17 AM »
Well this was meant to be the quilt for my dear friend who loves roses and very simple old fashioned styles. Funnily (or not), she popped over the other day whilst I had it out on the sewing table finishing the binding. Casually I asked her what she thought of it, and unfortunately, she didn't think much of it! Oh yes, she loved the fmq meandering and yes, the roses were very pretty, but......
                                     "it is very, very pink isn't it?"           
                                     "you'd have to have a special room or chair for it wouldn't you?"
                                     "where were you planning to put it?"
                                     "It would look quite nice if it had some Autumnal colours through it...it would suit my
                                      loungeroom then!!!!!"

sigh..... :[ I guess I get to keep the blasted thing!  And now I'm off to rummage for Autumnal fabrics and another pattern!!
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Roger

Re: Done.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 09:13:23 AM »
It's beautiful, and the FMQ looks lovely.
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 09:16:02 AM »
Well at least you know!

If you had given it to her, it would have never seen the light of day where as you get to keep it and love it.

Bet she would be mortified if she knew your original intention. :S

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 09:31:37 AM »
It would look gorgeous on the chair in my bedroom...just sayin'!!!!!  :D
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 10:09:06 AM »
She would have made all the right noises but never been really at home with the quilt if she had been presented with it. This way at least you now you'll be able to make something she loves rather than tolerates.
It really is a gorgeous quilt Rubes  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

rubywishes

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 10:18:48 AM »
...................and guess what..................it's now in pieces...I've taken the green border and binding off and replacing it with a red one to match the back. Am I sucker for punishment or what!  OCD kicking in big time!
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 10:31:50 AM »
Ruby, that is a lovely quilt.

I know how you feel though.  I've made a few surprise garments for DD which have never seen the light of day, and I have to train myself not to be disappointed.

That's why I stick to sewing for the children, and me!  :)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Greybird

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 10:44:36 AM »
[/qu...................and guess what..................it's now in pieces...I've taken the green border and binding off and replacing it with a red one to match the back. Am I sucker for punishment or what!  OCD kicking in big time!]

Not for her I hope! Some people just don't appreciate a good thing when they see it!

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 17:07:55 PM »
But did she like the design ???

The plain nine patchness of it??
Never mind honey, But why are you taking it apart exactly???

Are you hoping to autumnize Roses ?????

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

rubywishes

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 23:50:07 PM »
No Im, not "Autumnising" the roses, I simply decided that the green looked bl---y awful and if I was going to keep it I might as well fix it so I don't wince every time I look at it, I really thought the green was terrific..a perfect match for the green in the floral but it just made everything look "flat" after I'd finished it and as  I had enough of the backing fabric left over to do a new binding with it I decided to just get on with it. Should've done that in the first place. I really have been "all over the shop" with this quilt and changed it so many times I couldn't "see the wood for the trees" I guess.

Maybe once I've replaced the binding I'll offer it to my friend along with another quilt I'm starting for her and I will let her choose...perhaps the solid red binding will make the "pink-ness" of the roses settle down a bit and my friend may decide she likes it afterall.  I like the idea of giving her a choice of 2 quilts to pick from, that way I know she will be happy with the gift and I get to keep the reject one. I'm happy with that and I love the idea of giving her something I know she will like. She is a dear friend and I am sure if I had just given it to her she would've been most gracious about it....I think it has worked out much better this way.

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 09:03:59 AM »
I think you must be a lil like me Ruby ... Even if it means more work I will redo something until its 'right'.

I hope you don't blame me too much for leading you down the green road and for Gods sake don't tell Low, we'll never hear the end of it!

I offered my Auntie Gell a choice of two quilts for her last birthday as I was worried the one I originally made for her would be too colourful, so I made the Skandi quilt just in case.

It worked out fine in the end as she loved the colours of the original one..

and she asked to buy the Skandi (mates rates of course)

to grace the back of their sofa in their very white living room ... which gives the room a bit of focus!

Your friend is very lucky, and I hope she likes whichever quilt she finally decides on.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

rubywishes

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 09:26:07 AM »
Much, much better.

Lowena

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 10:12:01 AM »
Well, well, well..... isn't it amazing how a lovely quilt can be turned into a beautiful quilt, just by changing the binding to a proper colour  :P
P.S. my latest quilt has g***n in it  :x as it is quite scrappy and I had to use what's in the jr   :ninja:......so, I'll be looking to dispose of it rather than keep it in the crate  :D

Acorn

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 10:21:18 AM »
Lowena, you know that fantastic quilt in your profile picture?

It has green in it...  :P

... and very beautiful it is too.   :*
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 11:35:12 AM »
Thank you :). I know it does Accy, that was a present for my friend's 70th birthday.... so I don't have to look at it  :D
I must admit that it can be a useful colour as sometimes you need a wide range ( I still wouldn't use it for something for me though  :|:ninja: