The Sewing Place

Featherweight failure??

b15erk

Featherweight failure??
« on: August 08, 2017, 15:16:17 PM »
I think I may need professional help here, but here's the story so far.

I was trying to clean the tension discs and set the tension on the Featherweight, which was just a bit out.  I got called away to the phone, and unfortunately, I was away some time.

I got back to the machine running by itself, not unusual, I assumed it was the capacitor.  What did concern me, was the motor running very hot, and slightly smoking....  I've left it to cool down, and won't run it again today.

My concern is, have I wasted my money? 

Up until I left it - and I do realise I shouldn't have left it plugged in - it was running beautifully.  I was just being uber fussy with the tension.

Advice needed please.  Feeling quite sad :(

:( :vintage: :(
Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Roger

Re: Featherweight failure??
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 18:02:51 PM »
Hi Jessie,

You won't have wasted your money, even parted you can recover your investment.

Did you remove the capacitor? If so you may have simply damaged the circuit... if the capacitor is in the pedal, have you got another old singer with a similar plug you could try?

The smoke may have been old dust, how did it smell, like plastic or musty?

Fingers crossed

Roger
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 10:52:33 AM »
Thanks for the optimistic reply Roger, it cheered me up!

I rang my Sewing Machine man, Bob Green, not seen him for a while - he taught me too well!  He said capacitor at first and wondered why I hadn't done it myself :)  When I told him how hot the motor was, and how strong the burning smell was, he promised to come round.

Not sure when, but I'll leave things on hold with the FW for a little while, until he's had a look to see what's what.  I'll get him to look at the tension while he's here too - it was that which led to the problems!  It's not far out, but I'm now nervous of trying it myself.

On the positive side, I've seen a very nice machine cabinet, which may just be perfect for the FW.  Need to make some more enquiries though.  ;)

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Roger

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 12:17:38 PM »
I hope your Sewing Machine Guru can get it resolved for you.

I'm glad you're not feeling too out of sorts about it.

I'll look forward to updates
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Roger

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 15:09:12 PM »
This might explain yours:

The 221K4 is also the only variant that had the switch for the light built into the lamp body instead of on the machine base. It also was the only one to use an RF suppression capacitor mounted underneath the baseplate. If this is present then a small green wire with a brass plug should be visible fitted into the lower clamping bolt of the motor case.

Because the capacitor can produce all the issues you found.

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 15:32:00 PM »
That's interesting Roger, I'll mention it to Bob Green (when he arrives!).  He's quite 'old school', so I would expect him to be familiar with the Featherweight.

I think I just spooked myself the other day, and I really don't want to tempt fate by trying again before it's been checked.

I've got a small table coming in the next few days, so fingers crossed it fits the FW, or can be adapted.

Wish I could get one of the Singer model 68's, but I think they are exclusively USA.  :(

Jessie