The Sewing Place

Looking for an easy top pattern

Oldgirl

Looking for an easy top pattern
« on: August 08, 2017, 20:31:18 PM »
I've had a go in the dim and distant past making clothes from paper patterns which usually end up in a dark cupboard never to be seen again! lol Now, I've got a nice newish modern sewing machine and I would love to get back into sewing a bit more. I thought I would start off with making a simple cotton top, I've seen a few patterns that I like - New Look 6483, 6434 and 6225 however the few garments I've made in past never seem to sit right on my narrow shoulders and I don't know how to alter them. Would appreciate some advice before I go ahead and buy a pattern. :vintage:

Vegegrow

Re: Looking for an easy top pattern
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 20:43:14 PM »
One of the best things you can do is make a toile from an old sheet  first then you can start making marks / tucks  on that to see where you need to make adjustments ... you can always post a photo  on here and we can assist :pattern: :fabric: :snip:
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 20:54:03 PM »
For a confidence boosting starter you could do one with raglan sleeves or a drop shoulder then you won't need to worry about the shoulders.
Life's too short for ironing.

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 21:07:27 PM »
Have you come across Lekala and Bootstrap?  They both customise their patterns to your own measurements.  They are pdf patterns, so you have to print them out and tape them together - some people (like me) love these, other people don't.  I do really hate tissue paper patterns, and much prefer them on proper paper.

This is a pattern I made earlier this summer which is really easy.

Oh, and they are remarkably cheap!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 22:41:02 PM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 21:13:21 PM »
Oh, and if you use Bootstrap you can add an extra 'fit adjustment' to say you have narrower shoulders than average.

On top of that you could their 'Pro-fit' facility (adding lots of extra detailed measurements as well as the standard ones).  As part of this you can enter a figure for the distance from your neck to the tip of your shoulder and get the pattern customised.

If you do use the extra measurements be very careful, get someone else* to take the measurements, and order a free preview of the pattern so you can look at the overall shapes of the pieces and make sure you haven't done anything stupid.  Don't ask me why I know that this is important...  :|

*But not my huisband.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 22:42:01 PM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 21:32:44 PM »
I thought I would start off with making a simple cotton top, I've seen a few patterns that I like - New Look 6483, 6434 and 6225

New Look 6483, 6434 and 6225 are relatively cheap patterns BUT you could take advantage of the frequent sales and get them half price.

These are known as 'shell tops' as there is very little fitting involved.  What you need is a narrow shoulder adjustment and there are lots or tutorials and knowledgeable folk here willing to help.

Oldgirl

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 18:42:37 PM »
Many thanks everyone for your help on where to start.  I  like the idea of a drop shoulder or raglan sleeve as suggested and will look online at the web sites given here.  :drink: :vintage: I'll let you know how I get on and what I'm going to make.

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 20:26:12 PM »
The one you originally mentioned, New Look 6225 is a raglan sleeve.  It's one I've made and is really easy.  You just have to be able to sew darts and binding for the neck edge.  If you do make that one I would advise cuttting the higher neckline to start unless you want a deep plunge.  It's always easier to trim a bit off rather than needing to add a bit back on.

Oldgirl

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 18:45:09 PM »
I've decided to make the New Look 6225 as it's seems an easy one to start with, can I ask Ploshkin, I already have some poly cotton which I bought ages ago would I be able to use it  for this pattern?

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 19:26:55 PM »
New Look 6225 is one of the patterns I currently have spread out on the table trying to decide which to use for a top to go under my charity shop jacket (pink satin crepe arrived today and is a good colour match  0_0)

A lot of the fabrics suggested on the envelope are not easy for a beginner to use, but I would say that poly-cotton would be fine so long as it isn't stiff. That design looks as though it needs to drape from the shoulders.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ploshkin

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 19:56:20 PM »
I would think poly cotton would be fine.  I used a linen / viscose fabric.

maliw

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 21:30:03 PM »
I've just bought this because I wanted a very quick top
https://jaycotts.co.uk/products/nl6217#.WY4TIIXyu2w
as you will see there aren't any sleeves to set in so you shouldn't have problems with shoulder fitting.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula