The Sewing Place

The unexpected Bernina Nova

Roger

The unexpected Bernina Nova
« on: March 04, 2017, 18:32:20 PM »
I did a throw away bid on a Bernina on ebay almost forgot about it and won it!

It's a Nova which I think is a 900, paint and body and case look in decent nick but no manual and not many accessories.

Guess we'll see what turns up!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Swisslass

Re: The unexpected Bernina Nova
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 19:01:44 PM »
The thin end of the wedge, the first step on that slippery Bernina slope, you have been warned!  0_0
I'd like to think I was inspired, but maybe sewing is just hard wired

Roger

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 20:11:00 PM »
I have a 530 that is rather lovely and has a nice personality. How are you getting on with your 135?

I'm wondering what this 900, going to be like. I'd like to get on with it :)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Swisslass

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 08:54:34 AM »
I think the 900 is smaller than the 830, I think it's minimatic size. Ive an 800 and and 830 - little and large - and I've had no problems at all with them, apart from when I tried to sew some upholstery fabric and it got stuck under the foot. I wouldn't worry too much about accessories, you can pick up feet on eBay for a reasonable price. Has it got an extension table? These are like hens teeth on old berninas. Somewhere I've bookmarked a link showing the history of the Bernina machines, which numbers followed which and what features were new to the machines, I'll post it when i find it.
The 125 is still sat in the basement, I keep looking at her and thinking she's worthy of a better home but I don't do anything about it. I took her to bits, cleaned her, then put her back together (I do like the smell of old machines!) but then I thought, this will just be another hobby that will get left laying half finished around the house, I'll probably list her on eBay at easter.
You'll love the 900, built like a tank and goes like a tank.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 18:35:54 PM »
... you can pick up feet on eBay for a reasonable price.

...which is one reason why besides having 4 elderly Berninas I have dozens and dozens of presser feet.
The Bernina feet are elegant, collectible... and oh so very addictive...
I just thought I would issue a helpful warning here!  ;)

(Edit: to insert quote properly).
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 19:18:39 PM by Madame Cholet »

Swisslass

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 21:37:00 PM »
I've got 5

Elnnina

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 12:32:19 PM »
Well done, see the Bernina's are growing on you.

If I remember correctly, I believe Arrow has a Bernina Nova.  If so he may well be able to help you if you need this when the machine arrives.

Roger

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 23:47:41 PM »
Thanks all! It is a cute machine, the red and white are very striking. First impressions are that the case has taken some use, the handle has too and is quite scratched, the machine is in great condition but looks to have been well used and never cleaned, I got some serious dust bunnies out of the bobbin case without much effort! The motion is stiff, but every thing probably just needs a good oil and a clean.

I'm not sure what it is about bernina's but they seem prone to thread in funny places. The 530 thread that had formed a knot in the race, this one had a knot around the part the bobbin case clips into.

I was really relieved to see a bobbin case! :)

Tomorrow night might be cleaning and photos night!

Madame Cholet

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 15:46:30 PM »
... Tomorrow night might be cleaning and photos night!

I am looking forward to seeing the photographs, especially of the machine innards, as I have never seen a Nova in the flesh  0_0
Their styling is so dramatically different from say the 910 and the 930 - that 1980's designer staple red and white, and the dials instead of sliders - were they trying to appeal to a new (younger? more 'trendy'??) market?

Somewhere I've bookmarked a link showing the history of the Bernina machines, which numbers followed which and what features were new to the machines, I'll post it when i find it.

Ooh, yes please do!  0_0

arrow

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 19:57:58 PM »
I think the 900 Nova is a full size machine, a bit lighter than my 730, and with a handle on top of the machine that sticks out of the case when it's closed. It's made to be a more portable model. It's every bit what you expect of a Bernina, not that many stitch patterns to choose from, but it has a few utility stitches and a turn dial buttonholer like the 800 series.

Swisslass

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 17:43:00 PM »
http://www.mariamichaelsdesigns.com/Bernina/BerninaComparisonCharts6.htm

Stumbled across this in my travels .... but this is not the one I was thinking of, I'm sure it was on a German website, because it was a really odd website of someone who was into Bernina's and something like vintage tractors or old cars

Roger

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 18:23:48 PM »
Hi All,
Sorry I've been delayed on responding (my PC finally got fixed and well Witcher 3 ;). )

The 900 is a full size, it really does have the beautiful motion you expect from a bernina, it's smooth, quiet and very stylish!

It took a serious cleaning it had the worst dust bunnies ever, not to mention the obligatory thread in strange places.

Last thing is to test the sewing!

In the meantime here are some pics inside and out.
https://db.tt/3Z6ppG3y1L