The Sewing Place

Clear Elastic

Efemera

Clear Elastic
« on: August 10, 2017, 18:09:52 PM »
What's your opinion?... where can I get some. I've just used some and it was as the Americans say....awesome!

Fiona M

Re: Clear Elastic
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 18:19:22 PM »
I like the Prym one, it's not difficult to find.

Zigzag

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 18:23:05 PM »
Jaycotts sell Prym clear elastic.

supergran

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 22:05:04 PM »
Please excuse my ignorance, but what do you use it for? :S

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 22:38:19 PM »
A jersey dress... stitching the bodice to a gathered skirt... no need for gathering just stretched the elastic.

Bought some...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 22:41:21 PM by Efemera »

tumblina

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 01:08:23 AM »
Any tips for sewing? I haven't tried with the serger (overlocker) yet, but on my Janome sewing machine, the needle always sticks ever so slightly giving skipped stitches, and it also sticks to the foot (tissue paper on top solves that, but obviously makes it hard to see what one is doing!). I've only bought the packs at the local chain store, maybe it's a quality issue?

Hachi

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 07:50:38 AM »
My local John Lewis carries Prym one.
I've used Dritz (=Prym in the U.S.) one before and I find it a bit too thick for my use (mainly to stabilize shoulders and neck) and those small packets are rather expensive for just 3 meters. So I just bought 50 meters of a cheaper kind off of Ebay.

Efemera

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 09:17:26 AM »
I used it with the overlocker... it was 6mm wide. The only problem I had was starting off the seam and holding the elastic taught....in the end I made a few hand stitches at the beginning of the seam just to hold it before pulling the elastic quite taught. I used a four thread stitch... usually only use three but thought four would be more secure.