The Sewing Place

Flowers and tattoos

Ravingdoll

Flowers and tattoos
« on: August 10, 2017, 22:59:30 PM »
So two makes this week.  They won't be worn together!  The skirt comes from the pattern with Sew Magazine this month, very easy to put together, I made view C as I shall wear it to work so the straight version probably wouldn't have been so practical.  I bought the fabric last year from New York so it will bring back some happy memories.  The bolero, it turns out, is reversible.  I hadn't realised.  So I shall make another one with two different fabrics.  Seems rude not to!  I am now concentrating on my wardrobe for my cruise around the Fjords in September, got most of it cut out so what can possibly go wrong??  I got the itinerary the other day and there is a black and white themed formal evening, I don't really do monochrome but I have got an Edwardian style dress pattern and will make the cuffs and insert (vest??) in the white satin I used to make my friend's wedding dress (ok the friend's wedding dress that I got conned into making and muv finished off for me because it was a right royal pain) and some black crepe.  I can't quite work out what to wear on this cruise, the last one I did was a Caribbean one so it was easy, it was just going to be hot and factor 50 was the order of the day.  I assume that Norway will be cold in September, but could be changeable (but not hot surely?); I am also assuming that the ship itself will be temperature controlled so I won't need to wear thick clothing in the bars and restaurants - which are, it cannot be denied, my natural habitat.  And then I have a balcony with my cabin - I am also making some brushed cotton pyjamas and hope that with my amazing cashmere dressing gown that muv made me for an early birthday present in case she 'popped her clogs during the operation' (her words) will be sufficient.   

I am off this weekend so it will be a sewing one.  I've been a bit quiet recently.  Muv had her operation and was making a recovery, but then got an infection and rushed back in with sepsis.  She's not been the easiest of patients to be honest, fortunately my youngest twin brothers are pretty good at handling her at her most cantankerous.  In a humourous way which makes her smile even though she tries desperately not to!  Anyway she is home and supervising us all from her bed, so life is as normal (not that she normally supervises us from bed I hasten to backtrack just in case she reads this :D).

I've kind of been seeing someone.  As much as you can see someone who is on a totally opposite shift pattern to yourself.    Our first date was 'interesting' as I tripped up and felt like a child whilst he had to dab at my bleeding knees and hands  with a tissue - lucky we're the emergency services isn't it!  I was very brave though and didn't cry!  Our second date was actually a bit worse as I was so busy talking and not concentrating that I fell over and upwards on one of those metal bollards on the pavement and ended up hanging precariously from an industrial skip and he had to help me back to the ground.  He is probably very grateful we only get to meet up about once a fortnight.   Yes it is all go here in soggy Exeter!   

Lowena

Re: Flowers and tattoos
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 23:54:44 PM »
Very nice RD :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

PollyWally

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 00:05:04 AM »
It sounds like Muv has had a rocky time, glad to hear she is back home again. I love the fabrics in your latest makes and good luck with the cruise wardrobe, it sounds like you will need quite a variety of outfits

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 08:17:13 AM »
Those fabrics are lush.  Sorry to hear about Muv's setback and hope there will not be too many more scares.

Caroline, I think you might need training wheels to keep you upright. 0_0

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 09:13:38 AM »
Glad to hear that Muv is on the mend - sounds as if your love life may be too!   <3

Your outfits are lovely, and the black and white theme for the cruise could be stunning - as I'm sure it will be!

Try not to accessorise with scuffed knees though - not a good look :)

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 09:31:52 AM »
The skirt and bolero look good.

Best wishes to muv for a spedy return to normal, outof bed.

We did a cruise to Greenland a few years ago, in August.  A couple of times it was pleasantly warm; jeans and tee shirt were comfortable, but the morning we awoke to icebergs floating past the ship it was bitterly cold and I wore at least 2 of everything just to go up on deck - PJ trousers under day trousers, thermal vest, the lot!  Layers will be the order of the day, and take a warm hat and gloves too.   Evenings inside the ship should be temperature controlled so regular evening glam and bling.  Long dresses are good at hiding sticky plasters on knees!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Missie

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 09:46:00 AM »
I assume that Norway will be cold in September, but could be changeable (but not hot surely?);

Hmm,. I would double-check.  I went to Stockholm last September (weekend of 11th, so mid September) and it was hot, sleeveless tops hot and only a cardi needed in the late afternoon.  (Groan, how old do I sound, cardi?!) and obviously you will be further North.

Love the makes, especially the skirt.  Sorry to hear that Muv has had a rotten time, but wishing her a speedy recovery!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 09:52:05 AM by Missie »

Catllar

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 20:01:43 PM »
Love the skirt fabric - are you sure you're not trying to outdo me on the flamenco front?  DO you really need to go all out for the black and white theme? Cn't you just layer up a black skirt with a white top  then you can use them for something else after?  Cruising the Fjords - don't want to be negative but once you've seen one you've seen them all - hope the bar is good and well stocked ! Only joking - enjoy!!!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 13:52:11 PM by Catllar »
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Tamnymore

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 20:15:59 PM »
Sorry to hear about Muv's setback but it sounds as though she's on the mend now so that's good news. Depending on how far north you are going, I suspect you won't find Norway much different from the UK temperaturewise in September, possibly sunnier, though that wouldn't be difficult this year. Remember your bottle of duty free for impromptu apertifs as alcohol is expensive in Norway (although maybe you won't have Norway prices on the ship).
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ravingdoll

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 18:00:04 PM »
Thanks for the experiences regarding the weather!  I think layers are definitely going to be the way to go, and bring along a thick coat, scarf and mittens too.  Yes Catlar, I really do have to go all out on the black and white theme!  I am in the middle of making it.  I wouldn't want to do more than a 7 day cruise around the Fjords, I imagine it could be a bit 'samey' but it has been quite a year and I'm looking forward to a bit of peace and tranquility!  When I did my Caribbean cruise I felt at the end of the two weeks that once you had done one Caribbean island you had kind of done them all, but I still enjoyed it.  I don't think I will be getting drunk on mainland Norway the locals will be pleased to hear!  Apparently it is something like the equivalent of £12 for a pint of beer.  Fortunately on ship drinks are about the same as bar prices, with the added advantage that you get waiter service.  I've got a few excursions booked and also some spa treatments too.  I was a bit worried about having to get to Southampton by train with all my luggage (the irony of having no baggage restriction and then not being able to carry it all!) but the man of the moment has said that if he can book the day off he will take me.  I am going to go the night before, I still can't forget a few years ago when I was going to Greece (I was with the vet at the time) and we left to go to Exeter airport three hours in advance of the flight, bearing in mind it is a 15 minute drive, idea being that we would have a leisurely breakfast etc and ended up catching the plane by the skin of our teeth!  There was an accident right in front of us and we just couldn't go anywhere.  If we had been five minutes later we would have been diverted.  So when we got to the airport they just booked our bags in and took us straight onto the plane.  I think we only caught it because some of the cabin staff were also in the same traffic jam.  Then there was no food on the plane other than snacks, and our transfer was the last one so we were starving by the time we finally got there!  Not risking that again. 

Muv's much better now.  Still moaning about feeling sick, but that comes with heavy duty drugs I think.  One of the district nurses is bringing in a dress that she has been making (first one) and she doesn't understand the instructions.  So I think things are slowly getting back to normal. 

Anyway I am off to get ready to go out with some friends tonight, and the biggest decision I have to make is whether to wear my pink or purple seamed stockings! 

Sewingsue

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 22:22:40 PM »
    we left to go to Exeter airport three hours in advance of the flight, bearing in mind it is a 15 minute drive, idea being that we would have a leisurely breakfast etc and ended up catching the plane by the skin of our teeth!  There was an accident right in front of us and we just couldn't go anywhere. 
It sounds ridiculous to allow that much extra time - until something goes wrong.
Last time I took a taxi to the railway station I was muttering to the driver about the amount of time the dispatcher wanted when, at that hour, it would be an easy run.
At one junction there was a near miss (pedestrian deciding not to wait for the crossing light) and the driver pointed out that he would have been a witness at the very least so would have had to call for another taxi to come and pick me up.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

wrenkins

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 07:34:20 AM »
In over 40 years as a wedding photographer my dad was NEVER late for a wedding. All during "the troubles" when there were bombs, bomb scares, detours, barricades, security check points he was there in plenty of time.
He always said..."you only get one go at a wedding". With the result our entire family is manic about punctuality and we always get the best seats!  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ravingdoll

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 12:05:43 PM »
We're a bit like that as a family too!  My father is an ex-army officer and would rather be anywhere three hours early than one minute late.  As a teenager with boyfriends calling he would park himself by the sitting room window half an hour before they were due to call and keep an eye on his watch, and I still cringe at the memory of one who was five minutes late being told that I had already gone out as I didn't wait around for late people.  Actually with six brothers and eccentric parents it's a wonder I had boyfriends at all really! 

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2017, 13:14:22 PM »
RD We did the Fjords in June.  Whereabouts are you going?  We found it pretty wet so definitely need some sort of rainwear and waterproof shoes.  Temperatures were around 12 - 15 degrees.  That was the week that England was roasting in over 30!
We had black and white themed evening.  P&O?  But not everyone stuck to it. I just wore black.