The Sewing Place

PVC

Pinkstar

PVC
« on: August 11, 2017, 13:22:20 PM »
Anyone have any tips on sewing with PVC and can point me in the direction of skirt patterns that are suitable for PVC.

Thanks

Greybird

Re: PVC
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 14:30:49 PM »
Many years ago I made PVC dungarees for my small son so that he could be "hosed down" after playing outside. The fabric was a PVC coating on a woven cotton backing. I used an ordinary machine needle and probably cotton thread. They were very easy to sew and he grew out of them before they wore out.

I would think that if the fabric was PVC only without the cotton backing you would need a ball point needle. Hope this helps.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 15:11:57 PM »
Anyone have any tips on sewing with PVC and can point me in the direction of skirt patterns that are suitable for PVC.

Thanks

Ohhhhhh... the mind boggles! :|

DaisyChain

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 15:17:07 PM »
Hi, I'm not sure about recommending suitable skirt patterns but this is a really useful post on how to sew vinyl.

http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/blog/how-to-sew-vinyl-faux-leather-oilcloth/

Hope it helps.

8)

Pinkstar

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 15:28:31 PM »

:ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

0_0  0_0
lol its for DD she wants a skirt, just a normal skirt   :D

Many years ago I made PVC dungarees for my small son so that he could be "hosed down" after playing outside. The fabric was a PVC coating on a woven cotton backing. I used an ordinary machine needle and probably cotton thread. They were very easy to sew and he grew out of them before they wore out.

I would think that if the fabric was PVC only without the cotton backing you would need a ball point needle. Hope this helps.

Sorry forgot to say its cotton backed with a slight stretch.

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 19:50:21 PM »

Naughty!! Nothing wrong with PVC - wipe clean, stain resistant. ;)
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

fajita

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 22:16:35 PM »
It might have a sticky (snigger) surface, so a walking foot might be advisable.