The Sewing Place

Burdastyle 02/2013 128 (again)

b15erk

Burdastyle 02/2013 128 (again)
« on: August 15, 2017, 10:45:04 AM »
I've made loads of these T shirts, quick and easy, nothing fancy, but always look good.

This last one was made because I needed a quick white top.  The fabric is cotton, a bit like that for kids school T shirts, so not much stretch.  Cut out beautifully, gathers went in great.  Then disaster struck.

O/Locker started to chew the fabric!  I'd already started, so I finished off with the blade flipped out of the way.

In fairness, the fabric doesn't fray, so I carried on with the sewing machine.

Fabric behaved beautifully, but because there wasn't much stretch, I cut the neckband on the cross grain, and pulled quite tight on the neck edge.

I didn't want to re-thread the Coverstitch, so I finished all the seams and hem with a twin needle.

As is usual, I went in for a final press, and guess what?  The iron spat all over the front, brown coloured water!  Fortunately it came out, but I could have done without it.

Et Voila, another Burdastyle T.

Jessie

eta, I took the pic before I trimmed the seams off.
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

dolcevita

Re: Burdastyle 02/2013 128 (again)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 16:11:05 PM »
A great pattern from a great issue of Burda and another lovely example, Jessie.

I've made and worn to death at least 2, maybe 3, of these t-shirts.  It's the gathering on the raglan sleeves that makes all the difference, and it's such a comfy garment.

I'm sure we'll be seeing plenty more of these over the years.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 16:24:30 PM »
DV, it was you who introduced me to this pattern, and I have to say, it's a great one for work.

Neckline isn't low, but is very pretty, and the gathered sleeves disguise many sins!

I have yet to make the dress, but would love to try it at some point.

Not a pattern I can see myself getting tired of.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Catllar

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 17:05:04 PM »
The great iron splodge . nightmare. Lucky you got it out. I wore a love notions dress the first time last friday, plain colour blue ponte - came home, decided to make a fried egg and splattered oil all down the front - will it come out? will it heck! :angry: Ruined.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 19:35:41 PM »
Ooh that is a nice style.  Love the gathers. 
I can relate to the iron incident.  Managed to do that in some silk a while ago.   :o. Luckily a quick dab with a damp cloth was all it took.

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 19:52:30 PM »
The great iron splodge . nightmare. Lucky you got it out. I wore a love notions dress the first time last friday, plain colour blue ponte - came home, decided to make a fried egg and splattered oil all down the front - will it come out? will it heck! :angry: Ruined.
Have you tried putting neat Fairy Liquid onto it and leaving it for a while?
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 21:20:17 PM »
Oil marks are the worst.  The best thing I've found is toilet soap rubbed on to the damped fabric, worked well in and rinsed out. Then a normal wash.  My only problem is finding all the oil splashes once the fabric is wet. I usually miss at least one.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Samantha

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 09:49:42 AM »
Oil marks are the worst.  The best thing I've found is toilet soap rubbed on to the damped fabric, worked well in and rinsed out. Then a normal wash.  My only problem is finding all the oil splashes once the fabric is wet. I usually miss at least one.

What is toilet soap?

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 10:02:14 AM »
Toilet Soap is the block type of soap which is not for cleaning.  I use it a lot.

It's great for stains, and was what helped to get the iron stain out of my T shirt.

Liquid soap has it's place, but I love a nice block of Lavender scented soap (or just plain white for laundry purposes).

I wet the block, and rub it into the stain, if it's a tough one, use an old toothbrush to rub it in.  Rinse, and your stain will be no more:)

I think Vanish do a block, but ordinary Toilet soap does the job just as well.

Jessie

Eta, DD often sends tough stains to me to work magic on! :)

Missie

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 10:35:06 AM »
Lovely T-shirt Jessie.  I think I'll have to have to have a look to see if I have that.

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 10:43:56 AM »
It's still available on the website Missie, but they are charging a lot for their downloads lately (I think).

I found some lovely fabric in the stash this morning, which will make a lovely dress in the same style.  The dress has a lovely flounce/frill down the front.

Jessie

Samantha

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 13:31:54 PM »
Toilet Soap is the block type of soap which is not for cleaning.  I use it a lot.

It's great for stains, and was what helped to get the iron stain out of my T shirt.

Liquid soap has it's place, but I love a nice block of Lavender scented soap (or just plain white for laundry purposes).

I wet the block, and rub it into the stain, if it's a tough one, use an old toothbrush to rub it in.  Rinse, and your stain will be no more:)

I think Vanish do a block, but ordinary Toilet soap does the job just as well.

Jessie

Eta, DD often sends tough stains to me to work magic on! :)

Ha ha I thought it was soap for a toilet!! Thanks for the tip - I have just splashed tomato sauce over my new white tshirt so I'll be trying that out!!

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 15:20:20 PM »
I have a tiny spot of something orange on my new t-shirt that is resisting everything.  I'm about to try Milton (sterilising fluid) which usually deals with even the worst stains, although there is a risk of fading the colour too.  This is a white t-shirt with a blue pattern and the stain is on a white part, so I'm hopeful...  :o

b15erk

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 15:42:26 PM »
Acorn, if you use a whitening toothpaste, try that.  The paste means that it only goes where you want it.

Jessie

Acorn

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 16:27:43 PM »
Ooh - thanks Jessie.  I'll try that next time - the Milton has just worked perfectly this time!