The Sewing Place

Adding a stripe to scout cravats (!)

Swisslass

Adding a stripe to scout cravats (!)
« on: August 16, 2017, 12:18:37 PM »
Next weekend it's a big scout jamboree for our Kanton. All the scouts will be wearing the jamboree cravat (see pic) and I've just been asked if I could 'just' add a yellow and red stripe to the outside edge of the blue cravat.
These cravats will only be worn for the jamboree so am I loathe to spend a lot of time/effort doing them, there will be 18 in all.
What will be the easiest way of doing these? Bias binding comes to mind or ribbon?
Any suggestions?
I'd like to think I was inspired, but maybe sewing is just hard wired

b15erk

Re: Adding a stripe to scout cravats (!)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 12:24:35 PM »
Bias binding or grosgrain ribbon come high on the list for me Swisslass.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Catllar

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 17:13:29 PM »
Do yu have to supply it?  Grosgrain will look better I reckon, but do you want to do such a good job that they ask you again next time??? :devil:
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 19:00:56 PM »
Get wide bias binding, unfold the narrow folds, press flat then press exactly along the midline.  Then lay it under the outside edge so that it sticks out beyond the edge but so the raw edges are about 5mm further in than the existing hem of the scarf and stitch in place along the existing stitch line using a long stitch.  Mitre at corner without being too fussy and continue up the other side.  This should be fairly quick and easy to unpick afterwards.  It's only temporary and for scouts and the likihood is that they'll be either taken off or be covered in mud fairly quickly!!!

Swisslass

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 21:10:45 PM »
Well this 'project' got better as the day went on, first it was the yellow/red stripe (found Spanish flag ribbon on eBay) then another 5 with a green/blue/red stripe and 3 with a - wait for it - brown/green/yellow/red stripe - I laughed my head off and sent them pictures of tartan ribbon to check out their sense of humour (- none). Anyhow I was hoping I could get away with the Spanish flag but no, now they wish for just yellow. I've ordered some 50mm yellow ribbon and decided I will fold it half, iron it, envelope the edge, and then it's just once seam to sew. I'm beginning to think bias binding would have been easier... Heyho

Catllar - precisely, thin end of the wedge comes to mind. It was Basteltag (craft-day) on Sunday to prep props for the jamboree, one scout mum had made about 12 caveman outfits out of hessian, I kept my mouth well and truly buttoned. (They did look great though!)
I'd like to think I was inspired, but maybe sewing is just hard wired