The Sewing Place

What do I do now?

b15erk

What do I do now?
« on: August 17, 2017, 10:33:11 AM »
I've wandered along here to look for advice, and not to be confused with a 'proper' quilting person.

I found some Strip Quilting Squares (?) when I was tidying up, and I wondered what to do with them.  I had a thought that they would make a nice play mat for Theo, but I am having trouble getting any further.

I really need to know how to join them together.  Do I use strips, or just stitch them together (I thought the seams may be a bit thick).

As they are already quilted (albeit in straight lines), I wondered could I back it with fleece?

Any and all advice welcome :)

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lowena

Re: What do I do now?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 11:37:42 AM »
Hiya stranger - no - more  :D
You could just join the squares, but the seams could be cumbersome or be difficult to match. Often, strip blocks have narrow sashing between the blocks, in a neutral colour ( dark blue would be good for a playmat )
Yes, you can back with fleece, without needing wadding. Either use the binding method or the bagging method and it should be soft and cosy  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 12:23:45 PM »
If you have already quilted all of your squares with wadding in between the layers  I think that the way to do it would be narrow strips of plain sashing to join them together.  Cut the sashing just twice the width of your seam allowances so that the squares with wadding butt against each other when folded open and the sashing covers the joins on the front.  That way you won't have thick lumpy-bumpy seams.  It will leave the back open so will need to be covered, and yes fleece would make for a nice thick playmat.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 15:52:21 PM »
Oh, sorry - I thought they were just pieced blocks, didn't realise they were already sandwiched  :| Do as Brenda suggests, similar to what I said, but taking the wadding into account  :)

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 17:26:32 PM »

There you go B15erk.....

http://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,992.0.html

Everything you need to know!

Post pics Please

xxx
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 08:56:30 AM »
Lowena, being a novice at P&Q, I wasn't really aware of what went to make up a 'block'.  These squares are just strips of fabric, stitched onto a white cotton backing - so you are right, no wadding/batting.  Sorry Brenda, didn't explain myself very well, but thank you so much for the information.

Thank you too, Imi, for the great tutorial.  I will have a careful look at it, and get my supplies at the weekend.

These squares were made in an attempt to use up the growing stash of small pieces - but then another project came along and they were put away.

Now, hopefully, I can make something useful from them.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 09:56:08 AM »
If the blocks are just foundation pieced, ie stitched onto a piece of gash cotton, muslin etc. as it seems they are from what you have said in your last post, then you just sew them together to a size you can confidently quilt, .... then QAYG those blocks with the joining strips.

As it is a scrappy quilt I suggest that it might be fun to have different sized blocks for the QAYG process.

For instance I QAYG  The HSTathon in 6 equal blocks but it was a very regimented pattern ...for a scrappy string quilt a more eclectic layout would look fun.... lets me see if I can draw something up.

Make sure the joining strips are either dark to 'disappear  or bright if you want to emphasise the randomness of the layout.

You will need to decide your layout;

Sew the blocks together until you are happy you can manoeuvre the size they are under your machine
and put them together like a jigsaw on the floor to ensure they become the shape and size of the finished quilt
you want them to be (maybe number them at this stage)

Now layer them ... backing cut bigger than the wadding, wadding cut bigger than the top.

Lay the backing out wrong side up, then wadding, now the top right side up

Now pin or spray baste with 505.

Finally take each block and have fun quilting it...

and lastly, using the method shown in the tut, join the QAYG blocks together in rows and then join the rows together.

It can be a bit cumbersome at the end when you are joining two rows to three rows etc  but slow and sure will do the job.

More help here ... https://youtu.be/ji8BLS2rNHA?t=1
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 10:12:10 AM »
If you want an easier project and one which is far less complicated  :D sew the squares / blocks ( as I thought  :P ) together with narrow sashing strips between. When you have the size you want, just back with fleece and you will have a cuddly play mat........ simples  ;)
You can quilt a few straight lines across to keep the blocks / fleece together if you want to. Either bag or bind to finish..... a no hassle playmat...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 10:13:50 AM by Lowena »

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 10:26:10 AM »
That sounds quite simple Lowena.  As it's only for a play mat/changing mat, it might just be good enough!

Thank you!

Jessie

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 10:30:42 AM »
Ahh, pieced but not quilted.

Lay the squares out - if you like the look of them as they are just sew them together, if you think they would look better with strips of sashing add some.  You could maybe join the squares in small groups and use sashing between the groups. Like my scrappy drawing or a variation of.  There are no quilt police, do what pleases you. :flower:

If you are looking at making a big quilt, yes use Quilt As You Go.  Iminei's way uses strips on the front (to take the place of sashing) but you can do QAYG without those strips.  Or if you are making a small quilt, cot size or playmat, you should be able to quilt it all in one piece.  Half in one direction then turn it and do the other side in the other direction; that way you only have to get half of it under the machine harp.

If you want to use fleece instead of wadding and backing I would try to not use QAYG because it would mean having seams in the fleece.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 10:31:56 AM »
Sorry forgot to attach the scrappy diagram!

wrenkins

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 10:53:33 AM »
If there are no quilt police, why have they got a name?????  :ninja:
Welcome to the dark side Jessie.  :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 11:13:25 AM »
 :D :D :D

It's unfamiliar territory Wren, and a bit scary!  :o

Jessie

wrenkins

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 11:36:38 AM »
Best I can figure out you sew all the wee bits together and fix it at the end.  :[
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

b15erk

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 13:40:50 PM »
 :D :D :D :D

Great tutorial Wren!  Perfectly explained!  ;)

Jessie