The Sewing Place

The filthy 201

Roger

The filthy 201
« on: August 18, 2017, 14:13:23 PM »
The 201 is filthy! It's a tangle of wires (has the jones wires too)?and excess thread too! Thick with grime and dust and a little rust, the needle plates are in a bad way and it has no pins for spools. But it's still smooth even if it does feel dry and the underside is immaculate, even the manual has dust bunnies!

I gave the cable a cursory check and plugged it in, and it still works! Amazing!

It also came with the greatest accessory ever... a pack of vintage back ache tablets
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

arrow

Re: The filthy 201
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 17:32:49 PM »
It looks nice, just very dirty. I hope it cleans up perfectly with a bit of work. It's like something is missing on top, a large hole. 201s only have one spool pin as far as I know,  the rest are oil points.

I found a trick to flatten and straight out old manuals; I clean them best I can, get all the dust off, sprinkle potato flour on if there's oil spiill, air them out if they are smelly, etc. Then I place them in a large book and leave them for a few months. It gives good results.

Surest1tch

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 22:39:11 PM »
Good luck

Roger

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 23:35:14 PM »
Thank you Sure Stitch, Its not allowed in the house yet... and I have to complete an exam before I'm allowed to play with it.

I did a bit of digging online Arrow, and the hole on top looks like its filled with a small metal plug. and I found a couple of spool pins one with a metal plug in the box underneath the gears.

I was amazed that is worked! i suspect it has capacitors though!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Barnyard

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 23:45:26 PM »
That's what I like. A challenge!! Just a cautionary word though, please dont plug it in again. I have seen so many bodged wiring jobs and rotted insulation on these vintage machines that I never plug them in. A bit of dirt and oil doesn't hurt, 240v racing through your body does. I did it once and will never ever do it again. I look forward to seeing how the machine turns out Roger and if you could post pics during its recovery that would be nice. If you need any assistance (I am sure you don't) I will happily help where I can.

All the best.

Barny

DalronAU

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 02:45:38 AM »
I might be overdoing it, but I rarely plug a vintage machine in unless it's running through a residual current detector.  I especially make sure of this when I'm out of the house in a hall or somewhere similar.

An electrician told me even after full rewiring, VSMs would never get electrical approval these days like modern machines have to.

arrow

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 12:55:19 PM »
A lot of the old machine are up to todays standards, I'm pretty sure of it. They need a bit of work and clever tweaks to be good as new, and they can be rewired to a good standard. Not all can, and a lot of the early electrics didn't have good enough insulation. I just can't see a big difference in the new motor setups we can buy as replacements, and the old ones, the pulgs are different, but not necessarily worse or better. A lot of the new pedal replacement we can buy are exactly the same as the old, they are not all electronic or solid state, basic carbon resistors. There are 201 with earthed wiring, and most of the 1950s machine are double insulated.

Roger posted a picture of a 201 with a common type of plug where the wire ends on the back side looks like they are not fully insulated, but all plugs weren't like that. By 1950s the standard were often better than what we get today, some wirings and electrics are very light weight and cost effective today.  I should get a residual current detector like yours DalronAU to make sure nothing is wrong. These old machines should be both double and tripple checked before we use them.

I have been thrown too many general refusals and judgements on vintage machines that turned out to not be ture. Some take the general point of view "they are old and worn and cannot be repaired properly", some machines have hardly seen use at all, and they where made to last and run for decades. Others say it's easier and better to buy a new machine, and the alternative they come up with is something very much inferioror to the vintage alternative. I don't trust general and random replies at all any more.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 13:07:53 PM by arrow »

Barnyard

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 22:06:12 PM »
Wiring wise as arrow said "insulation" is key. I have had machines where both the outer and inner insulation is perished and a mere rub leaves it a broken brittle mass of plastic. The machine that delivered the biggest shock was a 201k that externally and from the mains and foot controller looked fine, no breaks, no real fatigue. After checking manually how it felt and putting some material through it I decided it was worth plugging in. Big Mistake!! As soon as i touched the machine I has 240V coursing through me  :S
The insulation from the 3 pin inlet jack to the lamp had rotted through and the lamp was making the machine live. Not where you could see it but under the motor. Lesson learnt! Every machine I work on now has new wiring throughout, I don't plug them in at all, it's just not worth the risk. I would rather spend a few hours stripping and inspecting than spend a few hours shaking like a sheiting dog through being electrocuted again or worse.

Barny

Roger

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 22:34:21 PM »
Thats a good warning, Thanks Barny.

Sadly Im not an electrician, or have much of a clue about wiring... I do normally check the machines over more carefully than this one, to see if the insulation has gone duff. my Elna grasshopper the cables looked like they had been to close to an iron, there were melted lines through the cables almost to the core... needless to say I replaced the cable on that one.

I've now finished my exam... I just need some time at home now to get it cleaned up :)

Roger

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 19:00:08 PM »
I've cleaned it! And mostly oiled it through. Where the japaning was exposed for so long it's gone dull and got some chips. But it's definitely better than it was, the base has come up beautifully, but I can't get one of the grease caps off the gears. One screw came out easy, the other wouldn't budge, I need to clean and oil the top 1/2 but it's looking really good and has 201 super smoothness!

arrow

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 19:09:18 PM »
I  have shined up dull shellac with AutoGlym super resin polish (liquid car polish), it lasts, but wear spots like the bed in front of the needles needs a touch up twice a year or so. The 201 is still  my favorite.

Roger

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 19:27:44 PM »
Hi Arrow,

Autoglym is amazing, and gets an incredible shine on the black machines. I think I'm going to try and repair the japaning I think first, then give it a good buff with autoglym :)

arrow

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 20:40:12 PM »
I have been thinking about cheating with black nail polish, but chips need to be filled in, leveled out, and I guess it will involve sanding down between layers. I haven't used shellac in ages and I don't know how easy it is to get a neat result as a second layer. Shellac is hard and durable, still a good alternative among all the lacquers thats' available. I'm not sure the 201K23s are shellac, by the 1950s most paints and lacquers weren't.

Roger

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 22:03:13 PM »
I have heard before that layering nail polish is a good way to repair chipped machines, especially as the range of colours is very good!

I did wonder if the late 50s/60s machines were still Japaned or if it was closer to automotive paint.

From the reading I've done on this, apparently you fill the chip with lamp black and shellac paste, then when it's set polish over the top with clear shellac lind seed oil and methylated spirits. And the alcohol slightly melts and evens the shellac. Got to be careful of the decals tho the alcohol can turn them Silver.

Roger

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2017, 23:16:14 PM »
It's had an oil, a clean and a polish, the electrics are not good, but I removed the capacitors, the insulation is definitely crispy.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hy0q3e9g5n9ce8g/AACjdC0QOoFmZx-WEEyTPpEga?dl=0

Also an exciting random there's a paper bobbin with it. I think these were made during WW2 to save metal, you don't see them often because they don't survive well.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 23:29:58 PM by Roger »