The Sewing Place

YAY !!! Its that time of the year ...

Iminei

YAY !!! Its that time of the year ...
« on: August 20, 2017, 10:26:35 AM »
By which I mean, my 2nd Jan Hassard workshop is approaching fast in the rear view mirror.

Easter 2016 I attended her Undulations workshop, which yielded the Undulating Terror...

This Easter (2017) I attended her Spirals workshop which resulted in The Spiral Child .....

and this September I am going to be attending her Strips Galore workshop which should glean something like this ...

Detail

We are asked to prep beforehand and my strata are sewn ......

No they aren't bowed (I think) it was a windy day!

Now I always try and do a few practice blocks before I go to a workshop, in an effort to keep up with everyone, but I can't for the life of me work out how she is getting this effect ... I tried a couple of blocks but still cant figure it out!

I did manage this the week before last

But that involved sewing the strata, chopping it up and then unpicking and resewing each strip before sewing the lot together ... a complicated and tedious process and not at all (I hope) Jan's style ... and after all that I still couldn't work out how to join two diagonal blocks to make a square without losing the seam allowance ... Nope can't figure it at all!

Anyhow this is where I am at with this. The class is the 2nd weekend of September so I guess all will be revealed then.

(Oh! I love a post with lots of pics  0_0 )
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 10:40:55 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

Re: YAY !!! Its that time of the year ...
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 10:29:29 AM »
She certainly has a recognisable style, doesn't she?
Enjoy your workshop.... doesn't seem that long ago that you did the first one  -< Your stratas look smashing
I'd never have the nerve to attend a workshop..... I'd be mortified if I didn't "get it" right away and wasn't the best in the class  :| ( shallow, moi??  :D )
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 10:40:39 AM by Lowena »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

maliw

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 11:40:50 AM »
Fabulous, there don't seem to be any workshops like this near here or at least I haven't seen any advertised. Enjoy your course and I await the results, your other two 'attempts' are great. :)
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 11:52:51 AM »
I'd never have the nerve to attend a workshop..... I'd be mortified if I didn't "get it" right away and wasn't the best in the class  :| ( shallow, moi??  :D )
An old boyfriend of mine once said " if you're not prepared to make a fool of yourself, you'll never do anything".
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Sewingsue

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 12:21:30 PM »
An old boyfriend of mine once said " if you're not prepared to make a fool of yourself, you'll never do anything".
Probably right and definitely the story of my life.
Mind you I have frequently made a fool of myself without any preparation.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 12:23:23 PM by Sewingsue »
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Pearl

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 13:06:00 PM »

I did a workshop for robe baskets a while ago.  Everyone else made this:-

Pearl

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 13:06:47 PM »
I made this:-  :| :P

I'm not going to let it put me off though.  I'm going to do the Jan Hassard 'Spiral' workshop in November.

Enjoy your workshop, Imi. 

Syrinx

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 14:47:09 PM »
It looks bargello like to me. So the diagonal blocks are each bargelloed and then sewn together... Where you unpick the strip set you'll get your seam allowance back, so that gets used into the new block seam. And the diagonal eats into the bottom square of the strip.

Similar to the diamond border where you strip set, offset and then trim along the outside square! Looks lovely - I look forward to seeing the pix!

Whereabouts are these workshops?

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 16:50:00 PM »
Love it Pearl, but I would have been mortified....and.....cried  :'(
I hate being unsuccessful and won't try if I think I'm going to fail  :(
As for the old boyfriend Wren....  :P
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Pearl

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 17:11:22 PM »
Now then, Lowena.  What would you have said to the children you taught???

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 17:20:49 PM »
Syrinx, you speak in tongues ... ie I don't have a clue what you said (I do know what Bargello is tho') but why would Jan make us sew strata to then have us unpick and resew the blooming thing???

She must have a cunning plan ... she better have as I have better things to do than spend a day and 45 squid unpicking and resewing something that was sewn right in the first place!

Pearl

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2017, 17:31:51 PM »
But that would make sense, Syrinx.  If you sew your strata to make a tube, cut it into equal strips, then undo the tube like you would if you were doing a trip around the world.  Sew those strips together to make a square and then cut on the diagonal.  Yes, I know, clear as mud.   :)

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2017, 17:42:35 PM »
But how can you accurately cut a tube of fabric ?????  :S

Syrinx

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2017, 17:44:47 PM »
I love that sort of stuff. It all makes perfect sense in my head when I see it hehehe  :devil:

Sew together as tube. Then place on board so your stripset tubes are long verticals, turn them 90 degrees and you have them horizontal on your cutting mat. Take your ruler and measure say 2" (for 2" squares) and cut all the way down your set. You then unpick the stripset stitch between fabric 1 and 2, the next cut piece between 2 and 3, the next cut piece between 3 and 4 and so on. Then you have equal length strips made up of all your fabrics, and each strip starts with the diagonal next fabric. Sew together and them cut into whatever shape you like (in this particular case, into big square blocks and then into triangles or just into the triangles, depends on how big your sets are). It's just a really fancy geometrical bargello Imi!

Sewingsue

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2017, 18:02:42 PM »
Love it Pearl, but I would have been mortified....and.....cried  :'(
I hate being unsuccessful and won't try if I think I'm going to fail  :(
You mean I'm not the only one  <3
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.