The Sewing Place

Soft Shell Fleece

Ellabella

Soft Shell Fleece
« on: August 20, 2017, 13:45:47 PM »
Has anyone had any experience with Soft Shell Fleece?

I really fancy making this with this but have not used this type of fabric before.

A search on the tinterweb produces opinions that vary from easy peasy to the fabric from hell and whilst I am up for a challenge I don't want to give myself too much grief.

Surest1tch

Re: Soft Shell Fleece
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 15:35:25 PM »
I haven't used soft shell fleece but I have sewn a lot of fleeces including Sherpa fleece.  The only problem I had with them the first time I used them was the upper layer creeping, but found by using plenty of pins and a silicone walking foot it stayed put.
Love that fabric by the way.

Starryfish

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 17:08:26 PM »
I love the fabric, a Romy anorak in that will look lovely. Have you used Style Arc patterns before? I can really recommend them, I have loads, but not that one.

A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 21:26:27 PM »
In my experience (of bought softshell garments) it's not a "drapey" fabric, I'm not sure it would lend itself to being gathered with a belt and the hem cord, and that collar looks a bit drapey, which I don't think would work. 
Obviously please ignore me if you have the fabric and it's not like that!

tumblina

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 22:25:23 PM »
I've done several jackets in hi loft PowerShield. It was a dream to sew and created a very professional looking finished jacket. But I was making the Jalie soft shell jacket, which is a active wear design just like the ones that outdoor stores make out of this fabric - I agree it's not drapey.

Ellabella

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 23:54:58 PM »
I think you may have saved me from an expensive mistake.  Bad fabric choice for that jacket. 

Now the dilemma is do I change the fabric or the pattern?

Or to adopt the normal Sewing Place mantra and make two jackets 0_0

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 09:57:06 AM »
Sorry to muscle in, but I'm having a similar quandary.  I'd like to make the Style Arc Casey coat in a waterproof fabric.  I suspect the lovely soft shell fleece Ellabella has linked to wouldn't be man enough - or would it?  Those flamingoes on one of the other designs...  0_0

As I hadn't come across soft shell fleece before I'm wondering what else there might be around that I haven't found.  The waterproof stuff that I have found (from Pennine Outdoor etc) is all very functional.  Is there anything else with a waterproof outer and a soft inner side?
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ellabella

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 10:24:52 AM »
I did like the flamingos but thought Silver swallows a little more me :[.

I've found a Jalie pattern (2679) that is designed for soft shell fleece but it is too sporty for me.

A stout older woman in such a fitted jacket however fabulous the fabric is not a good look :S.

I think I'll do the StyleArc in something more suitable but I will miss those swallows :(

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 11:09:14 AM »
The Style Arc Casey coat would possibly work, but bear in mind that softshell can be slightly "stiff", so will probably maintain the rounded shape of that pattern.  I'd definitely get a sample of the fabric if poss, it may be soft enough, it's hard to know.
I can't think of anything else waterproof with a soft back, but if I do I'll let you know.

tumblina

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 14:26:02 PM »
I did like the flamingos but thought Silver swallows a little more me :[.

I've found a Jalie pattern (2679) that is designed for soft shell fleece but it is too sporty for me.

A stout older woman in such a fitted jacket however fabulous the fabric is not a good look :S.

I think I'll do the StyleArc in something more suitable but I will miss those swallows :(

That's the Jalie pattern I've made several times for my girls, but I've just picked up 2680 which also recommends soft shell fabric - I was actually thinking of making it out of wool suiting with underlining, but I'll have to figure out how to size up since it was designed for wovens with stretch. It's not nearly as sporty as 2679.

Ellabella

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 15:20:19 PM »
That's the Jalie pattern I've made several times for my girls, but I've just picked up 2680 which also recommends soft shell fabric - I was actually thinking of making it out of wool suiting with underlining, but I'll have to figure out how to size up since it was designed for wovens with stretch. It's not nearly as sporty as 2679.

That looks rather good, I think the swallows may be getting a reprieve.

Thanks tumblina :D